Monday, January 18, 2016

Running on the Track

Isaiah Eller

Over the winter I have been running two miles prior to my swim practice. On Wednesday I ran two miles on the track in approximately 11:24. My first mile was 5:37 and my second was 5:47. Obviously, my average pace for the two miles was 5:42. In the book I have been reading, Matt Fitzgerald states that "The track is the best venue for fast running, so you can expect your performance level to be higher on a good track than anywhere else." (Fitzgerald 79) Because of this I run most of my faster workouts on the track to get the best possible times, and a better representation of how fast I am running. The picture on the right is a photo of me running down the road in front of my house the other day. In addition, I am also still working on my pacing, and I am definitely getting better at it. My two mile splits were only ten seconds apart, which is only two and a half seconds per lap. These times are relatively close together and shows me that I indeed am getting better at pacing myself on the track.  What other places or venues do you think are good for fast workouts, and which areas would produce a more difficult workout in the area?

2 comments:

  1. The area I feel that would be a hard workout would be running up a hill in a neighborhood. Some areas have huge hills going up for miles, and running up one of those can really test your cardio and overall explosiveness in running. Also it counts as a quick workout because it could only be a mile, but since its up hill it provides more of a challenge then just running a mile.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that you should trying to running in places that have a lot of empty room because it is a really effective way to test your speeds which will help you a lot.

    ReplyDelete