Sunday, January 24, 2016

Recording the drums- Audio tracks

Finally, now that I have the entire drums mic'd up and tuned properly, we get down to the real business- setting up buses and tracks on the computer. Buses are what I will be using to digitally manage the different audio tracks. "a bus is a connection of many different signals, seen sometimes as a channel strip’s send. The send controls however much of the signal you want the bus to send or 'transport' to a specified location, such as an auxiliary track"(Major 143). Buses are important to use because I want to be able to edit each part of the drum individually so that I can have as much control as possible over the outcome of the sound.
I have created a bus for each microphone input 
To create a bus, first I have to open up the recording application that I am going to use, which in my case is garage band. Garage Band is probably the worst choice as it has the bare minimum need to record, but since it comes free with a the mac, I am using it because I don't have $600 to spend of ProTools, the "music industry standard" for recording music. Since Mike doesn't specifically explain how to use Garage Band, I had to fiddle around with it until I found how to connect the interface to the computer and create buses.
After I have finished creating the buses, now the time as come for me to lay down some tracks.

By the end of the book I'm hoping to do a drum cover of a popular song and post it, so if you want to you can comment any song I should do a drum cover for and hopefully i can do it! 

2 comments:

  1. Recording the drums is an interesting topic and would be a great thing to learn and know about

    ReplyDelete
  2. Recording the drums is an interesting topic and would be a great thing to learn and know about

    ReplyDelete