Sunday, January 24, 2016

Amarpreet Singh: Drawing a Swallow

In my last blog post I saw that my rose petals were a little off. I still needed work on drawing curves by hand. I felt like I improved on it a little bit but I didn’t immerse myself into the art. You can tell if it’s off or not. So that’s why I decided to draw a swallow, a type of bird that is characterized by its adaptation to aerial feeding.
First the author of my very helpful book, "How to Draw Cool Stuff: Basics, Shading, Texture, Pattern and Optical Illusions,” Catherine V. Holmes says to draw a simple circle. Of course this was sort of a challenge for me since I still needed to practice drawing circles and curves enough to do it perfectly. That’s why I decided to use graph paper. The squares on the graph paper showed me how to conserve the space around the circle to make it look somewhat decent.
Going on, I continued to draw the small beak of the bird. I did as Holmes had suggested, “simply extend off of the circle, drawing free with your hand, like a gust of wind pushing it upwards and descending down.” (Holmes 113)
As I went on I drew the two lines extending from the exterior and the wing alongside it. The wing springs from the head to “add a sense of depth.” (Holmes 113)
Now came the tricky part, tiny little curves, as you can see I had a little trouble with the alignment of the extending curves based on my eraser marks.
Then I continued on to drawing each little feather between the wings and tail. This was probably the hardest part as I tried to keep it clean but struggled to keep it symmetrical as well.
The author then tells to draw a smaller group of curves alongside the top of the wings. This was tricky for me as well, I misjudged the size of the curves and didn’t look back to the bigger wings to see how big I needed to draw them.
Finally I filled the bird in with a thin sharpie and erased my pencil marks. I thought it would make it look nicer, which it did, but it also shows the imperfections in my wings.
I obviously need to work on drawing curves and circles freehandedly. Feel free to leave tips down below.
What do you think I should draw for my final drawing?



1 comment:

  1. Great drawing! If you use a mathematical compass it will make drawing circles much easier.

    ReplyDelete