Saturday, January 23, 2016

Chef Pres IRP - Baking Cookies Part 4

Preston Viltz

Meara

Honors English P4

Blog

January 23 2015

So its my fourth time baking cookies for y'all. And I am starting to believe that I have really improved my baking skills. I also really enjoy baking at this point. For my fourth cookie I decided to make the Salted Chocolate-Caramel Rounds. I chose this dessert because it really tested my skills and made me a better baker because it infused candy with baking, along with drizzling of caramel sauce. During my baking experience, some things went wrong and I just had to improvise and make the treat as best as possible. The Salted Chocolate-Caramel Round is a cookie that is mostly chocolate with a Rolo (chocolate covered caramel candy) put directly in the center, and caramel sauce drizzled over the top of the cookie. There was many steps in making this snack so here are a few pictures of my experience:

"Ingredients:

  • 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup butter, softened
  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup packed brown sugar
  • 2 eggs
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla
  • 36 milk chocolate-covered round caramels
  • 12 vanilla caramels
  • 1 tablespoon whipping cream"
First I found all my ingredients, then in a mixing bowl I used an electric mixer to beat the butter. Next I "add granulated and brown sugars. Beat until combined" with an electric mixer. Pic below:


In another mixing bowl I "stir together flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, and salt". Then I stirred both my mixtures together. Pic below:


I then roll the dough into balls and "press a chocolate-covered caramel into each ball and shape dough around caramel to enclose." I put each cookie on a baking sheet and baked them at 375 degrees for 8 minutes. Pic below:


I made the caramel sauce and "drizzle melted caramel mixture over cookies". My cookies were now finished. Pic below:


Looking back on my experience I don't know if I was ready to take on this hard of a cookie. But to be honest I think for just being a beginner they turned out alright. I had a good batch and a poor batch because they were kind of burnt. My goal going into these blogs was to do something that I could improve on and that is what I have done over these past months. I hope to create something great next time. And I do not plan on making a cookie.

Should I make something extraordinary for my next baked good?


Chapman, Natalie. Baking. Des Moines: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment