Monday, January 25, 2016

Rhythm and its Importance

Why is it hard to understand rhythm?

In my opinion, music is polar. What i mean by this is, you either understand it, or you don't. Music has surrounded me my whole life; my aunt was in a band, and many family members have had somewhat of an experience with a musical instrument. There are people out there, that can't seem to get the idea of rhythm right. Whether they can't play in time, can't read music, or can't play at all. But me, i've always understood music. I can look at an instrument, or a sheet of music, and everything just makes sense. So i guess the answer, for me, is that it's not. 

Mr. Palmer has a hand exercise about halfway through the novel in which he puts our rhythmic understanding to the test. The challenge is really simple actually, all you have to do is play a C scale with one hand; In time. I completed this on my first try (No bragging intended). Now this section of the book is literally named "These Hands Were Made For Playing" (Palmer 102). He explains how you can't move on to the more challenging concepts until completing the exercise I addressed above. According to Mr. Palmer, "Rhythm may be the most essential part of music. It is a particularly important factor in playing a keyboard instrument" (Palmer 102). 

I have mastered rhythm, and am truly prepared to take my piano skills on to more challenging concepts.

Me using a metronome to practice time-keeping

5 comments:

  1. Very well written post, Jack! I really liked the use of "polar" to describe rhythm. It's interesting to view music that way and I absolutely agree with you. Would you say music is kind of like a second language for you? Because you can understand, interpret, and use it well?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! And certainly, music has been a way for me to theoretically speak, if that makes any sense; i can channel emotions, express moods, and communicate with other musicians, all by simply playing a single note :)

      Delete
  2. I agree with Parman, this seems to be a very well thought out post! I would say that you are truly gifted to be able to understand rhythm and be able to read music.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Parman, this seems to be a very well thought out post! I would say that you are truly gifted to be able to understand rhythm and be able to read music.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yo Jack! As a fellow pianist and drummer I also understand how important rhythm is. I like how persistent you are at learning the piano. It really shows your dedication to the musical arts. I hope you keep getting better at the piano until you can start making beats for me! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete