Monday, January 18, 2016

Run

Isaiah Eller

Today I ran six miles in approximately forty minutes and six seconds. While this is not the fastest I have ever ran six miles it is relatively fast. I ran near exactly this time about a month ago with Isaac Derline, however today I did it on my own. The image at right is of me running today towards the end of my run. So what I worked on today was pushing past my threshold and working as hard as I could for as long as I could. In the book Brain Training for Runners by Matt Fitzgerald, he states that "The result has been a heavy emphasis on training at precise intensity thresholds that maximize a runner's exposure to specific causes of fatigue and thus, in theory maximize adaptions that enable the runner to resist these specific causes of fatigue in the future." (Fitzgerald 57) This basically means that to maximize my running ability I need to work as hard as I can when training so that I can get the best results possible in races. I did this today and this was demonstrated by my mile splits. The first two miles were 6:56 a piece, and my third was 6:41. It was at this point that I started to push the pace, as shown by my fourth and fifth miles being 6:34 and 6:36. Finally, I pushed hard on the final mile and ran a 6:23. By maximizing my performance in workouts, I will then see the best results this spring in track. What other things do you guys think I can do to get the most out of my training now before track starts?

2 comments:

  1. I think that if you work hard in what you are doing right know you probably don't need to do that much more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Working hard everyday is a great way to build up to your goal, good job and keep at it!

    ReplyDelete