Thursday, January 7, 2016

Leave it. No.

This certain trick that I chose to teach her made her more confused than usual. I decided to teacher her "leave it" and not matter what I said, she would NOT take no for an answer. She really wanted that treat. Over and over again I would attempt to follow what the book told me to do, but, Shasta was very persistent..
After very, very many tries and teaching her the trick. She began to understand and listen more because I am even more stubborn than her. A quote that helped me efficiently with teaching 'leave it was, "Move your closed right hand in front of your dog's nose, and say "leave it." He will sniff, lick, and possibly paw at your hand. the second he stops trying to get the treat and either looks at you or back away, say "Yes" and give him the treat in your left hand."(Fogle 18)
Fogle, Jean M. Tricks for Treats. N.p.: n.p., n.d. Print.
Shasta actually began to nibble at my hand, desperately wanting that treat. As the quote tells me to do, I put my closed fist in front of Shasta's nose saying "leave it" and watched in amusement as she tried so hard to get it. And when she looked at me all sad, I just laughed and said "yes" giving her the treat from my left hand.
The reading has impacted the way I train my dog by giving me great tips that actually work, and brought Shasta and I a lot closer because of how stupid she looks when she tries but fails. its actually quite funny. How much should I be teaching her tricks?

No comments:

Post a Comment