Monday, January 25, 2016

Chef Pres - Baking Part 5

Preston Viltz

Meara

Honors English P4

Blog

January 25 2015

For my fifth and final time baking for you guys I decided to bake something other than cookies. I feel like cookies are the easiest baking item to make so that is why I started off baking them. But now I feel like my skills have improved to the extent that I was ready to try something new. So for my final bake I made cornbread. Cornbread is very different than cookies, it has a much different texture and look, as well as many different ingredients. I chose cornbread because my ancestors grew up in the South and a frequent meal they had down there was cornbread. So in respect for my culture I decided to make something that meant a lot to my family. The cornbread was a much more difficult task then the rest. A major difference was that it had to bake for 45 minutes instead of the regular 8-10 min for the cookies. My experience was quite fun and I'd like for you guys to take a look so here is my time making cornbread.

"Ingredients

  • 1 cup yellow cornbread
  • 3/4 cup all-purpose 
  • 2 to 3 tablespoons sugar
  • 1 tablespoon baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup milk or buttermilk
  • 2 eggs
  • 1/4 cup butter"
First I set the oven to 425 degrees. Then I mixed all my dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. I whisked my liquid ingredients together in a separate bowl. Finally I mixed them together and "stir until just moistened". Pic below:


Next I "pour batter into the prepared pan". Then I put the pan in the oven and baked at 425 degrees. Pic below:


After 45 minutes I took the cornbread out of the oven and "cool slightly; serve warm". Pic below:



And lastly this is me enjoying my baked good. I loved my creation. Pic below:


Now that I have finished all of my baking experiences I am proud of how far I have came. I really admire how I stepped out of my comfort zone to bake something that wasn't related to cookies. My family enjoyed the large batch and my dad said it was "just like home". Overall I am joyous that I chose to bake for these blogs. I feel like I can now admit that I am not such a beginner anymore and am comfortable baking for my entire family. This was much fun.

If I opened a bakery would you eat there?

Chapman, Natalie. Baking. Des Moines: Houghton Mifflin Harcourt, 2013

2 comments:

  1. Hello Preston. I love how diligent you are with the food and take time to make it perfectly. Your blog posts have really helped me with my cooking also. Answering your question, if you opened a bakery I would for sure eat there!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Preston! I love how hard you work on making these foods, and they all look almost edible too! Carla must be very proud! I hope you continue to make great looking works of art in the kitchen!

    ReplyDelete