Monday, December 28, 2015

Bhardeep Dhaliwal, Lightroom Post Processing- Light Trails


  • For my second post, I went out and took some shots of light trails at night. Light trails happen when you take a long exposure picture and have a light travel through the picture as the shutter stays open. The sensor catches the light traveling throughout the picture and captures it all.
  • For this shot I went to Seattle and found a rode that went over I5 and was perfect for the shot. It was nighttime around 7pm so 5 o'clock traffic was in full effect, which meant there were tons of cars with their lights on allowing me to capture their motion.
  • I set up the shot facing down at the free way under me, the frame captures the free way along with a few buildings in Seattle such as the Columbia Tower
  • The settings i used for this shot were:
    • Exposure: 7 Seconds
    • Aperture: F/8
    • ISO: 100
The original shot before post processing, the shot came out decent. White Balance is off
























  • The shot came out well. I got all the essential things i needed like the light trail it's self, proper exposure, and no blur or grain. Next i
  • Next I imported it into Lightroom and began post processing using the techniques and tools it talked about in The Adobe Photoshop Lightroom CC Book for Digital Photographers 
  • Then i set my exposure and went to fixing the white balance. In the book it talks about how to use the white balance slider or you can pick a spot on the shot and copy the white balance from there. I chose to use the slider and went towards the blue side since the shot was way to orange/yellow for my taste. 
  • After that i went and brought out my shadows since the shot is dark and then brought up clarity. i prefer a crisp shot. Next i color corrected it. 
  • Finally, I went and fixed the distortion by clicking the "Enable profile correction's" option. I read about how this fixed and disproportions that your sense may cause. It fixed the shot a lot.
  • I then exported the shot and this was the final product. 

No comments:

Post a Comment