Thursday, December 31, 2015

Amarpreet Singh: Drawing a Rose

Last time I drew an eye, which was pretty interesting and I felt like I improved my shading skills. This time I thought I’d try my hand at drawing a rose. I even had to draw a rose for my chemistry class for the periodic table since I got rhodium. The origin of the name comes from the Greek work “rhodon” meaning “rose.”

First the author of my book, "How to Draw Cool Stuff: Basics, Shading, Texture, Pattern and Optical Illusions,” Catherine V. Holmes tells us to start by drawing a simple rose petal.
After drawing the simple rose petal you have to simply “extend off of the rose petal continuing the simplistic design towards the right.” (Holmes, Pg. 79)
Continuing with the drawing, we draw the petal which resides on the right side of the rose.
With more details, we continue upwards by adding small petals.
The small petals then connect together and form the base of the rose. Now we can see more of the rose and see how this way of drawing the rose is very simplistic.
By continuing down and drawing the exterior petals of the rose we finish it off.
But not before adding a few leaves at the bottom of the rose, which extend from the base itself.
Adding a few sharper leaves adds more detail as well.
Finally, we add the stem and finish our simple rose drawing off.
I thought that this way of drawing a rose was very interesting. The author used one petal to extend off of the other and complete the drawing without adding too much complexity. This is easy for beginners like me and I thought it was amazing.


What do you think of this way of drawing a rose?

1 comment:

  1. Cool flower.

    If I were drawing this rose, I would probably just do all the lines at once, not doing each individual layer. Your way looks a lot better than my way though.

    ReplyDelete