Thursday, December 31, 2015

Running Into the New Year


Isaiah Eller

Today I ran on the Lake Youngs Trail with the one and only Isaac Derline. I only went 5 miles, but did so in 33 minutes for a average mile pace of 6:37. After my run I was very exhausted, and my legs really hurt due to the quick pace and hills we encountered. "Muscle cells routinely suffer microscopic damage during running. The accumulation of such damage is likely to be a major cause of fatigue during prolonged running. Whenever you complete a run feeling sore, you know you experienced significant muscle damage." (Fitzgerald 55) This quote shows that during my run I worked my muscles so hard that they started to tear my muscles, however, this is good for them because it helps them to grow back stronger. This photo is of Fanuel and I with Jack Yerian, state champion prior to Districts this year. In addition to my running I have been swimming twice a day with the swim team. This is good cross training for me, and helps my leg and core strength along with my cardiovascular fitness. "Today many elite runners perform cardiovascular cross training workouts throughout the training cycle to facilitate recovery from hard runs and to provide an additional aerobic training stimulus." (Fitzgerald 136) Overall my training has been fantastic this winter break as I have gotten faster and gotten my fitness level up. In your sports do you do other kinds of exercise as cross training?

2 comments:

  1. I don't use cross training but after reading I think it is something that I would do because it is an effective way to strengthen my muscles.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a very well written and interesting post, Isaiah. I do not like to run long distances but after this post I am inspired to give it another go. As for the cross training, I have not tried it but now I will consider it. I was not aware than running broke down then built your muscles back up, thank you for this exquisite information.

    ReplyDelete