Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Healthy Cooking: Zucchini Pancakes

   Growing up, my family was never the "healthy" type. Besides the occasional fruit or veggie, we rarely ate healthy foods. It wasn't until this year that my family and I decided that we should start eating foods that would be better for us in the long run, so I decided to use this assignment as an opportunity to learn how to make healthier versions of family-favorite foods.

    My family has many traditions when it comes to what we eat, the most common one being pancakes for breakfast every Saturday morning. Clearly that wasn't going to do us any long-term good, so I decided to take a tip from my new cookbook and make a healthier version called "Zucchini Pancakes" (Clendinen, 8). Coming from a person who generally doesn't eat very well I can honestly agree with the author when she says that they have a " unique taste, a healthy twist and are delicious" (Clendinen, 8)

To get started you need:  

- 2 medium zucchinis, trimmed and grated
salt
- 1/2 cup fat-free plain Greek- style yogurt
- 3 ounces cream cheese
- 1 large egg plus 2 large egg whites
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
- 1/4 cup Parmesan
- Freshly ground black pepper 2 tablespoons oil 


   I know that this probably sounds a little scary at first, but trust me, it'll be worth it in the end. Now that we have the ingredients, we can begin actually making the dish;

Preparation: 

1. In a bowl, combine the grated zucchini with a pinch of salt and let it sit for 15 minutes to drain any excess liquid. Wrap the zucchini in paper towels and wring out any liquid left.
2. In a small bowl, stir together the yogurt and cream cheese.
3. In a large bowl, beat the egg, egg whites, and garlic. Fold in the flour and Parmesan, and season with pepper. Add the zucchini and stir just until combined.
4. In a large pan over mild heat, warm the oil. Spoon 1 heaping tablespoon of batter into the pan and cook until golden brown, 2 to 3 minutes per side. Continue with the rest of the batter, covering the finished pancakes to keep them warm. 
5. Serve the pancakes with whatever healthy topping you prefer (I use yogurt) 

Now that you have your main dish ready, it's time to think about your sides. I suggest that you guys try eating it with oranges on the side, how you eat them is up to you. You could either eat it in slices or drink real orange juice, either way, it tastes good and is a great way to stay consistent with your healthy meal. 
This recipe did wonders for me and my pancake obsessed family, hopefully it does the same for you!

2 comments:

  1. To be honest this looks great and I have ate something like this but it looked much different than this! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, I have never heard of Zucchini pancakes before reading this. This is awesome!

    ReplyDelete