Thursday, December 31, 2015

Camila Kang - Not Actually Human

Do you remember in art class you were forced to draw yourself? It didn't look exactly like you, but close enough. Drawing people is "the most challenging of ll subjects for an artist" because everyone is unique on their own (Barber 36). Drawing a face is to me one of the most difficult drawings I experienced now, because of my tendency to have it exactly right. The author talks about that "a common error that novices make is to concentrate on the face without paying much attention to the rest of the skull," even though "the rest of the head is much larger than the area occupied by the face" (Barber 39). This was my problem. I kept trying to perfect one small area, instead of looking at the rest of the picture. An exercise he explained was to show us that people aren't so different, and "realize that one face isn't more difficult than another, because all faces have a basic shape so similar that it's only final details of the features that make them so distinguishable" (Barber 41). So always remember that everyone is the same as everyone else, but unique at the same time.
My attempt to draw Robin Williams took awhile to make, after several times of drawing him. It didn't look horrible at all, but it's not him exactly.
First I did a basic layout of his face, which looked like a cartoon character than a person. The lines are where his eyes, nose and mouth should be, and some basic outlining.


 I filled in some details, erased some lines, and added some shade.
And the final picture. 


No comments:

Post a Comment