Monday, December 28, 2015

Braiding my own hair

Now that I have been practicing braiding my sisters hair, I will try to braid my own hair. This is a difficult and sometimes frustrating task, it also hurts your arms! The braid I want to see most in my hair is a Double Dutch braid.
 In my last blog I learned how to do a dutch braid, now I will be performing it on myself. I'm always the worst with starting my braids, so of course I read some tips from my book. I first split my hair in two, I found it easier to set one half aside in a ponytail. now the author says "take a rather large section from the front. Mine is from about my temple to the end of my part." (883, Smith) I tried this technique and took a larger portion of my hair to start.
 It took a couple of tries, but over all I think I got the hang of it. I learned from this type of braid that your hair must be fully brushed, and any hair that you don't use should be separated . Again the author said that after a couple of tries you can get the perfect braid, after you do make sure to pancake it, (vocab word from last blog). (smith, 890)
Remember, a dutch braid is a french braid but you take the pieces of hair under instead of over the middle. To reflect I have definitely gotten better at braiding other peoples hair, and I still really need to work on mine. All it takes is practice on getting a solid start! ladies, what do you think the hardest part of braiding your own hair, versus braiding someone else's hair?
 
Displaying IMG_4836.JPG
Displaying IMG_4836.JPG

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a very difficult process, and it makes me glad I have short hair compared to you because I don't have to struggle to braid it. Overall though, this was a cool progression from your last post and showed that you are building on your skill!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good job Corlyn! I believe that the hardest part of braiding my hair is not being able to see what I'm doing and it really is a difficult task since it does hurt your arms! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete