Monday, December 21, 2015

Parker Woolworth: Arrows


One of the most frustrating things about archery is trying to decide which type of arrows you should use. According to the guide, “Before choosing your arrow shaft, you must know two things: your draw length and the draw weight of your bow at your draw length.” (Sorrells, Pg. 19). What this quote is saying is that you must select an arrow that doesn’t weigh too much and isn’t too long. Would you pick the longer, lighter arrow that travels a longer distance, or pick the heavier, shorter arrow that deals more damage to your targets? For my next task, I wanted to test which type of arrow is better for shooting at long distances.
For this task, I used 2 different types of arrows: ¼ inch and 1/8 inch arrows. While I was performing my experiment, I noticed that the ¼ inch arrows where getting closer to the bullseye slightly more than the 1/8 inch arrows. I also noticed that the 1/8 inch arrows tended to get caught in the wind and spiral out of control. In the end, the conclusion I drew up from this experiment was that the ¼ inch arrows work better at hitting targets from a further distance than the 1/8 inch arrows.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe, to do the most "damage" to your target you should take the 1/4 inch arrows and turn them into incendiary arrows. This could make the arrows much more effective and it could also reduce gravity drag because, like they say, heat rises.

    ReplyDelete