Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Photography - Kayla Treat

"Shooting in Manual (M) is a waste of time" (Carroll 54).


This quote in the book caught me by surprise and was kind of the opposite of my opinion. I feel like shooting in manual is a great way to learn about the different aspects to photography. Manual mode is where you have to choose and adjust all of the settings (Exposure, ISO, Shutter speed, etc.). The difference between this and program or auto scene is that those change the settings correctly to the picture and the scene. I then decided to try it out.

This image here I took in manual mode with my DSLR camera. I adjusted my exposure and shutter speed to make the image what I wanted to be and what I wanted to be in focus. For this image I wanted the focus to be the sky rather the tree's and I feel like this mode really captured what I wanted.


Now this image here was taken in Auto scene as well with my DSLR. When I was taking this picture I figured that it would focus on where I wanted t to but it focused in on the trees which caused the sky to be very saturated (bright colored).
 
So, in my opinion I disagree with the author on this one that manual is a waste of your time. I truly think it can really help you in capturing the image you want. This is a opinionated topic so what mode do you feel captured the better image? Let me know in the comments. Happy Holidays!

3 comments:

  1. I enjoyed how you stated your opinion, even if it opposed what the author said! It was very helpful how you explained everything and easy to understand for someone like me, who has no experience with cameras. I also liked how you included the same picture taken in two different modes. Good job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the shot you took on manual, it looks less saturated and more appealing to the eye. Goodjob! What difference in the two shots (Manual/Auto) do you think made the tones of the two shots so different?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I think that the difference was where the focal point was. Auto mode focused on the darkness of the tree's while in manual I focused in on the sky a bit more.

      Delete