Tuesday, December 29, 2015

Ila Siliga- Dropping the jaw

When singing vowels your mouth has to be rounded and or defined depending on the vowel being sung. The shape of your mouth and how open your mouth is determines how precise the vowel will sound. Since the shape of your mouth is directly correlated to the sound, this is a very important step in learning how to sing correctly. The book I am reading titled Singing for Dummies addresses this point and how sound can get trapped in your mouth if it is not opened which can greatly affect your performance.

These images show me demonstrating how you can "drop your jaw." Dropping your jaw helps open space in the back of your mouth so when you sing the sound will resonate. To resonate is to produce or be filled with a deep, full, reverberating sound. Resonance is very important in order for your voice to be heard better. These techniques are helpful and noticeably makes the back space in my mouth feel larger. The steps also imitate what it is supposed to feel like when your voice is resonating. Not only does your mouth have to be open for your sound but your neck and jaw have to be free of tension and ready to move, which is helped by following these steps. Overall, dropping your jaw is important for the projection of your voice and can be practiced with the following steps.

The book says, "To practice dropping the jaw, follow these steps: 1. Massage all the muscles around your face to make sure that they're free of tension and ready to open. 2. Try yawning and dropping your jaw at the same time... 3. Yawning inside your mouth and throat without opening your lips..." (Phillips 61). Do you think that these techniques could possibly better my singing in the long run?

















 
 
 
 
 








2 comments:

  1. Ila this is great! I'm gonna use this technique from now on!I think singers do that naturally when they try to sing the vowels more darker but I have never heard that by massaging you can produce a better sound! That was interesting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, Bestfriend. This is really cool! I tried this and I really like the way my voice sounds when I try these techniques. If find anymore ideas, let me know :)

    ReplyDelete