Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Focusing

"Focusing in perhaps one of the most important areas in photograph." (Gatcam 88). I couldn't agree more with the author. I truly believe the focus in a photo is an important way of giving a photo more meaning and makes the subject stand out more.

Over the weekend, I decided to take photos with my cousin, Trinette. On Sunday, we had a family gathering and decided to take photos outside and my great Aunt's backward was an absolutely nice place to take photos considering the fact that I love shooting around in nature.

In this chapter, the author teaches the reader to use a single-point auto focus, which is choosing a specific point for the camera to focus on. To do this, you must "select an AF point yourself by pressing the AF point button and turning the control wheel." (Gatcum 91). I chose the middle point because I just generally like to center my subject. This will be really helpful in the future when I choose not to center my subject.

Here are some results of choosing the center focus point:




Another thing that Gatcum teaches us is manual focus, which is focusing on the subject yourself instead of depending on the camera. He states that it is useful because, "...you may need to take over from the camera when low light and/or  low contrast make it difficult for the AF system to lock onto your subject." (Gatcum 88). This was very helpful since we took photos around the time the sun was setting. I also generally like taking photos in dark settings, so I will truly benefit from this tip in the future.

Here is a photo where I used manual focus:



Overall, the chapter on focusing gave me great tips that will help me in my upcoming photo shoots. I believe it's really important to notice these small details because in photography, every tiny detail counts when it comes to executing a photo well.

What do you guys think about the photos? Also, what setting do you prefer for taking photos; nature or urban? Let me know in the comments below!

No comments:

Post a Comment