Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Clothing Styles: Minimalism - Kendall Langis

"Minimalism is an entire life philosophy. The more you read about it, the more the whole concept starts to sound pretty spiritual. It's about having less and enjoying the things you have more - it's about cutting through the excess to discover what is essential." (Brooks 113) Minimalistic dressing revolves around the idea of simplicity. It's also about quality, and knowing what fits, etc. flatter you. The goal is to achieve a careful balance of color, texture, and shape. If done right, it can create an excellent chic, understated look. The outfit I chose as an example is all black - many minimal looks are monochromatic. However, you can also make a great minimal look with mixed neutrals. "To me minimal is more about simplicity of shape, styling, and general aesthetic than it is about the color." (Brooks 129) I started with some black skinny jeans with holes in the knees to add a bit of character; the author believes everyone should own "one perfect black pant." I cuffed the bottoms to show off the shoes. For a top, I wore a black short sleeved turtleneck with stripes also in black (you can see them in real life - not necessarily in the photo!). It's important when going with a simple, minimalistic look to not enter the boring territory by having all plain pieces. For shoes, I chose some black booties, which I think you can never go wrong with! Not everyone can enjoy dressing minimally, but when done right can look classy yet effortless! A minimalistic wardrobe can also be mixed and matched easily, for an endless amount of combinations. Would you enjoy having a closet with little color? Thanks for reading! :)

1 comment:

  1. I really like this post and the idea of minimalism. I feel like the outfit that you chose was perfect to what the goal was. I'm one who likes minimalistic clothing. Can't wait to see what you have for your next post :)

    ReplyDelete