Monday, December 11, 2017

Two-Point Eye-Level Perspective Drawing

                                     Two-Point Eye-Level Perspective Drawing by: Olivia Nguyen 
The Château de Vaux-le-Vicomte  is a historic baroque in Paris. In my newest drawing however it is a two-point eye-level perspective drawing. When you draw you can express how you feel without writing the details. The paintbrush is your friend and the words are the paint. This sketch was by far the most time consuming, it was not however as tricky as last posts, but still i needed help. I am using Understanding Perspective by Stephanie Bower as a reference in my follow along drawing. In this drawing I used my Pang water color eight set, Bic pencil, Pentel aquabrush, and notebook paper. This time I decided against pen. I thought it might give the drawing a more realistic work, because obviously in real life there are no lines just shadows and contrast. 

When doing two-point perspective sketches Bower says "Try to place the closest vertical edge off-center to create a composition with better movement. Placing that corner in the middle of your drawing splits the image in half and leads the viewer's eye out of your sketch" (Bower 53). When I was sketching I placed my vertical edge off just a little bit. It made a huge difference. The drawing had much better composition and flow. The viewers eye now was directed off page. It has a cool effect where everything seems slightly taller and gives a worms eye perspective. Many great and everyday artists use this technique in urban sketches, such as Eduardo Bajzek, Paul Wang, and Josiah Hanchett.

The reason why most sketches aren't straight on are because of the effect you get when it is angled to the side. When a drawing is not straight forward you can usually see more than one side of a building. This gives a more natural and raw way of looking at the drawing for the viewer. Bower explains that extending converging lines on each side will take the vanishing point separate ways. Both of the ways on the eye-level of the sketcher or viewer (Bower 52). In these types of drawings the vanishing point will be off the page. This will make things much harder as you might have to guess where many of the lines will lead. This can lead you to inaccuracy and make your whole drawing off. 

I will leave you with a question, do you believe the risk of inaccuracy is worth the better drawing in the end if you leave the vanishing point off the page? Also what is your favorite drawing of mine so far?

3 comments:

  1. Nice demonstration of two point perspective! the paints are a nice touch. have you looked into three, four, and five point perspective? they help make drawings more realistic, take a look at my posts for a more in depth explanation.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, my book also has more points of perspective, but I decided to start simple and work up. I love your posts!

      Delete
  2. Wow Olivia, this is amazing work. I can't even begin to compare to this post. I love how much time and energy you put into each post, and piece of art you make. To answer your question, I think that accuracy is always important, but nobody is going to hold it against you if you don't have a vanishing point. Thank you for sharing your expertise!

    ReplyDelete