Sunday, December 31, 2017

Lifting Day 3

Warm ups are important to lifting because it gives you muscles more movement and makes them more flexible all while allowing your body to be strained for longer periods of time with less chance for injury. My book also corresponds to Joey’s first blog stating that muscles typically start off cold before and need time to warm them up, which is the intention of warm ups. Warm ups can help carry oxygen to your lungs. “Muscles also rely on oxygen to give them energy to work” (Susan Saliba 25). Another part of warm ups is that “Both breathing, and heart-rate are increased” (Saliba 25). Some exercises to help loosen muscles are lunges, running or shaking your body. Warm ups to help be more flexible include seated hamstring stretch, quadriceps stretch, and groin stretch. Some general rules for stretching is that “If stretching is performed improperly, it will do more harm than good” (Saliba 28). Some ways to avoid improper stretching is to deeply breath all the way throughout, stop after feeling sharpening pain, relax into a stretch and don’t jerk your body for a deeper stretch. I typically focus on exercises that increases my heart-rate.

What are the type of stretches or warm ups do you find help you become looser or have helped you feel more flexible? Have you ever done one of the non-commended ways of stretching so far? Do you do them now? Do you do specific warm ups for a specific sport?


Works Cited
Saliba, Susan. The Basics of Weight Training. Weight Training, Mason Crest

     Publisher, pp. 1-64

4 comments:

  1. In my experience, I tend to do dynamic stretches, where you do the stretch as you move before the run or workout and static stretches like those in the photo afterwards so that I don't get injured in the future. Do you believe that dynamic stretches are more beneficial for weight lifting like they are for running?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to say which is more beneficial because everybody's bodies work in different ways. What would help me get really good gains, may do absolutely nothing for somebody else. I personally like dynamic stretches because I feel that it gets the blood flowing a lot better than static stretches, and it just all around makes my body feel more lose. I don't really feel anything when I do static stretches, but I've heard that it could be really bad for the muscles if you don't do them for weight lifting, (if you lift a lot of weight) so I do them anyway just to be on the safe side. All in all, I believe dynamic stretches are the best stretches for me.

      Delete
  2. I like doing static stretches when I prepare for warming up, simple things like touching my toes or hamstring stretches. When I play basketball there are specific warm ups I do for that, these are usually dynamic stretches like high knees. When you lift, what specific stretch has been the most beneficial for you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dynamic stretches as a whole are more beneficial for me. I focus on lifting a different muscle every day of the week, so my stretches very on whatever the day is. If I am doing leg day, I love doing lunges with 25 pound dumbbells as a warm up. On chest day I would typically lift the bar (45 pounds) and do about 50 reps before getting into the real workout. Those are my two favorite because I can really feel my body getting warmed up towards the end of both of those warm-ups. I also sometimes like to run about 5-10 minutes before a work-out to just warm my whole body up. I typically do this either before I'm going to max or do a full body workout.

      Delete