Thursday, December 21, 2017

Soccer: Techniques When Playing a Long Ball

During a game, there may be times when you need to "switch the point of attack", or switch the ball to the other side of the field. When trying to do this, you will have to play a long ball to the other side in order for the ball to successfully make it over to a teammate. You could also end up playing a long ball on a goal kick, on a cross, or even a long shot.

When trying to play a long ball, there are certain mechanics and techniques that can be used to improve your form and approach on the ball, which can help increase the distance and the flight of the ball. Andrew Latham says that the first part to hitting a good long ball is your form. You want to be a couple feet back from the ball so you have room to run up to the ball. When you are running up to the ball, you want to take the foot you are not kicking with and place it just next to the ball so you have some space in between your foot and the ball (35). My approach to the ball then sets my body up to strike the ball in a more comfortable and proficient way.


In the picture above, I used Latham's idea and planted my foot just slightly to the left of the ball, giving me a better position to strike the ball. My back is also arched giving me a better strike on the ball and allowing the ball to get more air.

When you are actually making contact with the ball and planning to play the ball, you want to make sure you are hitting the ball just the right way so you are accurate. "...you are striking the bottom half of the ball to get the ball in the air. On contact, you should be slightly leaning back, which also helps the ball go in the air. Kick through the ball. Your kicking foot should land across your body on the far side of your plant foot" (35).


While I was performing my long balls, I kept in mind Latham's information about form and approach. All of his idea helped me set up my body to strike the ball in such a way that I was able to hit over a 50 yard ball. If you were to look at both the video and picture, you would be able to see that my foot is planted next to the ball, my back is slightly arches back, I make contact with the bottom of the ball, and I strike my leg through the ball and onto the opposite side of my body.

Building on from just a simple long ball, do you think pro's incorporate these same techniques when they are taking freekicks on frame? How do you think they perform more difficult and skilled freekicks?


Latham, Andrew. Soccer Smarts for Kids: 60 Skills, Strategies & Secrets. Rockridge Press, 2016.  

3 comments:

  1. Very well written post, Tionna! I love how you include little details such as saying your back is arched or your foot is a certain distance away from the ball; details that someone who doesn't know soccer wouldn't necessarily know. I do think that professionals use similar techniques when taking a shot or freekick from distance - I think they have to in order to have a chance at scoring. But I also think that just the basics are not enough in a professional game. Their level is so much higher than a beginner's, therefore they need to adjust some things. In a more difficult freekick, I think the placement of the foot might move a little, and where the ball is struck would also change. It's the small details like that that make all the difference. How many adjustments do you think a pro might make to perfect one shot?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Bethany,
      Thank you for the response and opinions! When it comes to professionals I understand that they will have some adjustments that allow them to hit more complex shots. For a pro to make a perfect shot I think the major adjustments would be, the angle or approach they have on the ball, which surface of their foot they hit the ball with, and the types of quirks the player puts on the ball such as backspin, sidespin, or even a dip.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete