Tuesday, December 26, 2017

The Road to Stalemate

Work cited 
Snyder, Robert Michael. “Chess for Juniors: a Complete Guide for the Beginner.” Chess for Juniors: a Complete Guide for the Beginner, David McKay Co, 1991, pp. 132–133.


As I continued reading Chess for Juniors I was able to learn how to not lose in the game of chess, by resulting it into a stalemate. By placing white into a certain position called Zugzwang ( a situation in which the obligation to make a move in one's turn, often decisive). By knowing this in the back of my head I was able to get out of many sticky situation, in other words its like playing a video game where you get to revive yourself every time (Infinite lives)                                  

When I tried this tip out, I forgot that I would have to take out all of the other pieces first before being able to use this tip . So the match took a lot longer than it had to. However, after I was able to take out other pieces out besides the pawn because that white pawn took out my last pawn. Since I was in this situation I used the tip from the book so I could result the match into a draw. "Black can force the White King to stay in front of his own  Pawn with 1 . . .  Kc7 2 Ka8 Kc8 3 a7 Kc7: stalemate. White has stalemated himself!" By using these exact moves, I was able to foresee whites moves ahead of time and was able to stalemate the match.



                                       Forced the white king to stay in front of his pawn


Match resulting in a draw 

Question: Do any of you know any other techniques to result the match into a stalemate, besides putting your opponents into the Zugzwang position after taking all of their other pieces?

No comments:

Post a Comment