Saturday, December 30, 2017



The Art of Sign Language: Basic Phrases and Fluidity of Movement


              The Art of Sign Language goes into detail regarding a multitude of phrases and words that allow for basic conversation with the deaf or heard of hearing. These range from greetings to discussing the weather to important phrases in case of an emergency. The text helped me by providing useful information about the fluidity and speed at which one should sign, "Remember that when signing phrases or complete sentences, fluidity is key. Separating words in a sentence or phrase with a pause can be very confusing, and fluid motion is a great skill to have when signing," (Brown, 25).


  • "Hello, my name is Noah. What is your name?"



  • "Good Morning. How are you? I'm good, thank you for asking."









  • "What is the time? Where is the hospital?"

         I found that after enough practice, I could sign these basic phrases with ease and, more importantly, fluidity. The text shows many images to go along with the various signs, and accompanying text to go along with them. For instance, the text states that when signing the word "name", one taps the fingers together twice, (Brown, 22). These little tips helped me greatly when learning, as they prevented me from missing key aspects of certain signs that cannot be effectively portrayed in pictures. 

         How do you feel about visual learning at KR? Do you learn better with a picture to help or is the written word more your style, and which way should material at KR be taught?


Brown, Christopher. The Art of Sign Language: Phrases. Vol. 2, Thunder Bay Press, 2003.
By Noah Crissey

2 comments:

  1. That is interesting. Visual learning should be utilize more in classrooms because most people are visual learners. Often times, mimicking motions are easier than reading text and being tested on comprehension. I have found that when classes are more hands-on, I have picked up the skill and gotten the task done much more efficiently. Throughout this project, I have founded pictures much more helpful than words, especially for having to shaping the dough for bread. Often times, I have looked at the picture and ignored most of the words to figure out what the bread should look like after doing the steps. I found this crucial to my learning and very helpful to producing presentable-looking loaves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Jordan! I entirely agree with you, visual learning should be more prevalent in the classroom. However, I think options should still be available. Some people would rather sit with a book than gain hands on experience, and those people should still have the option to do so.

      Delete