Thursday, December 28, 2017

Makeup Manual: Foundation Application

Hi, welcome back! Today i am going to be focusing on how to apply your foundation and how to find the perfect shade for your skin tone! I started wearing makeup towards the end of 6th grade. I was the kid who would go into her moms bathroom and put on her makeup without anyone knowing. I just wanted to grow up faster. In 7th grade my mom bought me my first makeup products and ever since then makeup has been a huge passion of mine. I tried to teach myself by watching YouTube makeup tutorials for hours but i never learned much from them because all i was doing was watching someone put on makeup, there was no explanation to it. I then came across the Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual by Bobbi Brown and this book is the perfect guide for beginners and pros. This book explains everything you need to know and i have learned so much from it. 

As i mentioned earlier, today i am focusing on foundation. Foundation is a huge part that can make or break your makeup look. I never knew that there were so many different aspects that go into making sure your foundation looks flawless, for example, the base before your foundation and how you set your foundation. They all play a part in making sure your foundation looks flawless and not cakey.

The first step and one of the most important parts is making sure you find the perfect shade of foundation and the perfect formula for your skin type. 

According to Bobbi Brown, there are 10 types of formulas to choose from, "Tinted moisturizer, tinted face balm, stick foundation, liquid foundation, moisturizing compact, whipped foundation, oil-free liquid foundation, oil-free cream foundation, oil-free powder compact, and mineral powders" (Brown 56). Each formula associates with each persons skin type

Below is a picture from Brown's book that shows what skin type is best for each formula:

I personally like to use liquid foundation because i have normal to combination skin but more towards the dry side. There are two types of liquid foundations, dewy and matte. Matte is more suited for oily skin and Dewy is more suited for dry skin. I never knew this till recently. I used to use matte foundations which made my face look and feel dry and dull because i have dry skin. I recently switched to a dewy foundation and my skin feels amazing, glowy, and hydrated.

Once i have the perfect formula chosen for my skin type, it's time to find the perfect shade. Bobbi Brown shared with me a couple of tips in order to finding the perfect shade, she stated, "Make sure the foundation is yellow based, test several shades, double-check the selected color on the forehead, and always test foundation in natural light" (Brown 57). 

I tested three different liquid foundations. The one on the far left in both pictures is the Wet n Wild photo focus foundation, the one in the middle in both pictures is the L'oreal Infallible pro glow foundation, and the foundation on the right in both photos is the L'oreal Lumi foundation. 
As you can tell in the photo above the far left shade and the middle shade are took dark for my skin tone and the one on the far right is the best fit for me. You want to make sure to match your foundation to your overall skin tone not just your neck. 

Now i have found the perfect shade and formula for my skin! It is now time for application!

We are going to start off with the base of all of our makeup. The base is very important in order to make sure your makeup lasts all day long.

First step: Moisturize!!!!
I use cetaphil because it can be used on all skin types and it's a light weight hydration formula that is fragrance free and doesn't irritate the skin.

Second step: Prime your skin!!!!
I use a lot of products to prime my skin because i truly believe it's the most important step. Pictured above is the Smashbox primer water, Tarte rainforest of the sea mist, Mario Badescu facial spray, and the Becca back light priming filter. These are all hydrating primers that help moisturize my dry skin while providing an awesome base for my foundation at the same time.

Third step: Foundation Application!!!!
There are many different tools you can use to apply your foundation, for example: sponges, brushes, fingers. Bobbin Brown suggests to use your fingers "to warm up a product before application" (Brown 58). However i find that to be messy so i use a beauty blender to create an air brush effect. You can use a brush but i find brushes to be streaky. 

I am using the shade on the far right, because it matches my skin tone the best.

Now its time to apply!

Bobbi Brown suggests "Begin applying a small amount of foundation around the nose. Blend the foundation upward into the hairline. Apply foundation all over or only parts that need it, Use your fingers to press the foundation into the skin to fully blend" (Brown 59).

After the foundation is blended you want to set it into place with a powder to lock it all in and make sure it doesn't get oily or crease.
I used the Laura Mercier loose powder to set my makeup.

Our application is finally complete and we have flawless foundation now!

Naturally i have some acne and redness but as you can see that is all covered up due to the foundation application procedure! 

Do you wear foundation? What do you use? Did you ever know that it was this much work?


Brown, Bobbi, et al. Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: for Everyone from Beginner to Pro. Springboard Press, 2011.

2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace, I found this blog post informational.I do wear foundation but I didn't know there were all these steps to applying foundation. Usually I apply moisturizer then apply my foundation. Now i'm going to make sure to prime after I moisturize, then put on my foundation. What I use for my foundation is liquid foundation(Revlon Photo ready foundation to be exact).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Gila! Thank you so much for reading my post! I'm glad that you found it informational. I also didn't know that there were these many steps either but now that i know, i definitely think my makeup game has stepped up. I have heard a ton about that foundation that you use and i really want to try it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete