Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Betty Crockers Lemon Squares

For this post I decided to make Lemon Squares from Betty Crocker's Cooky Book. On page 11 there are tips on how to make the perfect bar cookie.

"With Spatula, Spread dough evenly in greased square or oblong pan. Bake minimum time in heated oven... Bake meringue-topped bars until delicately browned." (Pg. 11).

I started with the crust of the squares, I ended up using my hands to spread it evenly in the pan because the spatula didn't spread the crumbly dough. I baked the crust first and while the crust was baking I made the topping. When the crust was done I poured the topping directly onto the crust without letting it cool.

"Beat rest of ingredients together. Pour over crust and bake 20 to 25 min." (Pg. 13)

I think that the book should have said to let it cool first because there was a slight film over the crust that was stringy. When I took them out of the oven they looked very puffy but eventually flattened out. If I were to make this recipe again I would let the crust chill first and double the amount of lemon topping because there was more crust than the lemon which resulted in a dull lemon flavor.



All the ingredients 

Mixing the crust

The crust going into the oven

Mixing the lemon topping

Right out of the oven


If you guys were to make these what would you add?

Would you double the amount or would you keep it like the book said?

Would you add lemon zest to make the lemon taste more prominent?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Julianna! I love baking too and really enjoyed this post. I found it interesting when you said you doubled the amount of lemon to make it more prominent in the flavors. You also said you added lemon zest to add to it. I like your ideas and would try it myself because I love the flavor of lemon! My question for you is would you make this recipe again?

    ReplyDelete
  2. thanks for your comment and yes I definitely will be making these again they are my favorite!

    ReplyDelete