Monday, December 25, 2017

Drawing: Cars

         I can draw animals and humans but 1 thing I don't usually draw machines. So this time I tried to draw cars. In the book The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing by Alistair Smith and Judy Tatchell there were many different types of cars you could draw. some of the cars were vintage, cars with different patterns, or crazy cars with expressions. Cars with crazy expressions seemed interesting to draw since I could basically add emotion to my drawing. It really amazes me how you could turn an object that doesn't have emotion into one that does so that is what I went with.
      Since I have never drawn a car before, I needed some tips to get started and the book gave exactly that. The book stated, "A car is roughly made up of a box shape, with four circles near the corners, and a smaller, flatter box on top. By varying the proportions of these shapes, you can create different types of car, from an upright vintage car through to a sleek, low-slung sports car" (Smith, Tatchell 88). This advice gave me the basic idea of what a car should look like, even though I see cars all the time, I can't really draw a good car just from thinking about it. Now that I had the basic information about drawing cars, I decided to look for something to enhance my drawing, and that would be adding some expressions.
      In the book it showed a couple of different cars with different expressions, and I chose to draw a happy car and an angry car. the book said, if you want to give a car a happy look then you should have big eyes with a smile and also bright colors that give the car a happy feel. But if you want an angry looking car then you should add shapes that are sharp, small narrow eyes, with a fierce mouth (Smith, Tatchell 89). For my happy car, I made the car yellow and gave it big eyes and made like the front bumper the smile so it looks like the car is smiling. For my angry car, I gave it sharp yellow teeth with narrow eyes so it looks like the car is angry, plus I made the car red and green to add more fierceness. Overall, I would say the expressions on my cars came out great and they really show emotion through the drawing.

How do you think the 2 different cars came out?
do you get the feeling that they are happy or angry?
would you ever giving objects expressions or feelings?
Smith, Alastair, and Judy Tatchel. The Usborne Complete Book of Drawing. Usborne Pub., 2009.

4 comments:

  1. Keerat, these drawings look amazing, they remind me of the movie Cars! I agree with the emotions you gave your cars. For the first yellow car I got a feeling of happiness. Yellow is often a color associated with joy, and the cars wide eyes and big smile added onto this feeling. The red car did give off a feeling of anger, because red if often used to express an angry emotion. You did a great job showing the feelings in your art! I don't often give objects expressions, but I would consider it, because I really like how these drawings came out!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Bryanna. I agree with you 100%, colors can give alot of meaning towards feelings and expressions match well with certain colors. I'm glad you found this post helpful!

      Delete
  2. Keerat, the cars look so good, I love that you colored the small one in yellow, meaning that it is happy, I love that the grill of the car is the smile, same with the other car, its great that you colored the angry on in red. I don't normally give inanimate objects expressions, but in the future if I am drawing a cartoon I will take this into consideration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emma, i'm really happy that you enjoyed my post. Sometimes, the places you put certain expressions can give a totally different feeling and when you add color it just gives that much more emphasis. Hopefully if you ever consider to draw things like this you wouldn't get stuck figuring out how you would express.

      Delete