Saturday, December 30, 2017

Vegetarian Cooking: Part 2

Hey y'all welcome back to my blog. Last time on Thasan's adventures through the world of food, I discovered the placement of soy meats in many traditional stores. After purchasing my first ever product, "Quorns: meatless chicken strips", and sauteing the fake meat, it turned out okay. However, today I am attempting to bring out the flavor even more. After running to my local Fred Meyer I decided to pick up another meatless item.
 This time around i picked up Yves Veggie Ham. Not gonna lie this stuff is rather expensive, but hey im here for an A not to pay the bills. Anyway, in the book im reading The Lost Art of Real Cooking by Ken Albala and Rosanna Nafziger, the authors state "The oldest marmalade recipes use honey, and the sharpness of citrus still stands very well to honeys muting sweetness..." (47). Now obviously I am not making marmalade. However, this form of cooking can be incorporated into different foods such as what I am making. I took into account that to make something flavorful you must match its flavor with something that almost completely counters its original taste. This will allow the flavors to be much more vivid.
 To accommodate the sweetish raw flavors of the veggie ham I purchased a block of aged mild smoked cheddar. The cheddar will bring a savory and aged flavor that will allow the ham to flourish inside the bread. The bread is an Italian whole wheat bread.
This is what the sandwich turned out to look like. I added a little extra just to make sure it tastes even better. I added some alfredo sauce and fresh cut tomatoes. Thanks for reading hope I helped you all realize how you can focus on a specific taste and enhance it with other flavors.

1 comment:

  1. You wrote this post very well! Your note about the Yves Veggie Ham being expensive made me think of a question. Do you find that vegetarian meats are more expensive than regular food? Or is all vegetarian food more expensive in general?

    ReplyDelete