Sunday, December 31, 2017

Simply Glamorous: Correct and conceal

Hi, welcome back, this is Ashley and today I am focusing on the correcting and concealing part of ones make-up routine. Concealer for me has always been my go-to product. Most of the time I just put it all over my face how ever I feel like it with no structure, but after reading Gary Cockerills book Simply Glamorous, I now feel better about the kind of concealer I am applying and where I am applying that concealer. My skin also has a lot of discoloration and redness to it, so I find these correcting tips that I will discuss throughout this blog post, along with the concealer tips, very helpful:) I read in Cockerills book a question he is often asked, and that is "if theirs a difference between color correctors and concealers, and whether color correctors are really necessary," (Cockerill 30), his answer was "theirs a big difference and, yes, by incorporating color correctors into your make-up routine, you can not only cover up an area but neutralize it too, and ensure your make-up holds its color and disguises any flaws" (Cockerill 30). Although I like to incorporate these things into my make-up routine, I have always wondered those questions, and its very nice to know exactly why adding these two things, and applying them correctly is so important and useful.

Correct

There are various colors that you can apply to your face, all with different purposes. My personal favorite is green because it conceals redness, and is good for covering pimples according to Cockerill, and those two things are very present on my face which brings me to like the green color corrector very much. Along with green there is also lilac, " a pick-me up that brightens the skin and counteracts dull, sallow tones" (Cockerill 30). Something I like to use and i feel it does better then the lilac color especially for my skin is using a highlight (bright shimmery color) right above my cheek bone, and on the tip of my nose. Another color used for correcting is a peachy pink color, which brightens the area under your eyes (Cockerill 30). This will help with those bags we all get from stress or lack of sleep, so I find this color very useful.
Here you can see I chose to just apply the green corrector. I applied it to the parts that Cockerill suggested in the book (Cockerill 30), see the picture below that shows where Cockerill applies these color correctors. These are the main parts that my skin naturally has redness. 
(Cockerill 30) Here is the image that Cockerill included in his book. Here you can see where the green, lilac, and peachy pink colors were added to the face.
After I applied this color, I blended it together will a make-up brush then used my fingers to help soften down the edges so the green color wasn't so obvious.
Then you will want to go in and add concealer, like talked about below.

Conceal

The concealers I have are, stick concealers and liquid ones. Although I always do my make-up I have never really known which concealer should be used where. Reading this book has really given me insight to that, and I hope you take these tips to be useful, and I hope that my experience with them is beneficial. Cockerill states that stick concealers has a thicker consistency, and is good for blemishes and easy to apply directly on the area that needs it (Cockerill 31). This is very useful to know because I used to apply stick concealers under my eye, but now I know I shouldn't do that. Cockerill also states that liquid concealers is a multipurpose concealer and is easy to blend and apply, and gives a nice light coverage (Cockerill 31). I love liquid concealer because of how light and easy it is to apply.
Here is all the places I added concealer. I decided to go with the liquid concealer under neath my eyes, and then the stick concealer on all my blemishes.
After you add the concealer you will want to blend. I decided to not use any foundation in this look, so I just finished blending everything together, and finished the look off my adding a loose powder and mascara. 

Color correcting and applying concealer are very useful tricks to know how to apply properly when applying make-up, and I hope you can use my opinions I talked about, and Cockerill's professional opinion to create your best look possible. 

Have you ever experimented with color correcting? What kind of concealer out of the two I talked about (stick or liquid) do you prefer?


Cockerill, Gary, et al. Simply Glamorous: Make-up Transformations to Make You Look & Feel Fabolous. Jacqui Small, 2015.

No comments:

Post a Comment