Thursday, December 28, 2017

Why a Strong Core is Important

I have been dancing since I was three years old. Ever since I was little, I remember my teachers always stressing one important point: The core.

Every move in dance, especially ballet is supported by a strong core. As the caliber of dance becomes more difficult, the more important a strengthened core is. It supports you in turns, jumps, posture, and balance which was something I was hoping to improve. 

Finding your center will help you in all aspects of dance. In Ballerina Body by Misty Copeland, Copeland also stresses the importance of a strong core. There are numerous different exercises that help you develop a strong core all targeting different areas. Copeland has recommended a few especially for those in dance. 

The first is a proper plank where your elbows are on the ground as straight as possible. Your hands can be clasped or separated. It's important that your body is straight and you're not letting your back scoop or arch down (Copeland 54).


Next is a variation of sit-ups/crunches. Many types of sit-ups can be harmful to your back and put a strain on your neck. Copeland recommends crunches where only your upper back comes up to reduce stress on the back. You can keep your arms behind your head or straight out. Also for a greater challenge, lift your feet of the ground. The main tip is to relax your neck as much as possible to reduce strain and any possible injury (Copeland 55).


Copeland also touches on why it's important to maintain good posture. Core and posture work together to make you stronger overall. Standing up straight may also help improve balance (Copeland 34-35).
A strong core will help me achieve my goal to gain better balance, and improve my dancing overall. 

Copeland also stresses the importance of also not pushing yourself too hard, saying that this can bring a negative mindset, and can hold you back on your journey. "When you skip a day of exercise, that;s not a reason to berate yourself- or a reason to abandon your workout plan all together. Remember that tomorrow can be a new beginning, a chance to recommit your aspirations" (Copeland 218). 

How important is a strong core in your sport? Do you have any tips or workouts that you recommend to others?

Copeland, Misty, et al. Ballerina Body: Dancing and Eating Your Way to a Lighter, Stronger, and More Graceful You. Sphere, 2017.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Grace! I loved reading your post because i too am an athlete. I play soccer and having a strong core is very important. My club coach does not stress it very much but my high school coaches did. For my sport its important to have a strong core so we don't get knocked off the ball and we are overall just stronger. So overall i would say that a strong core is very important for the sport i play. Some workouts that i do are basic crunches, leg raises, planks, side crunches, and sit ups. I also use an app on my phone called " 30 day ab" and you can choose a level and it gives you exercises every day that increase in the amount the further you get into the course of the 30 days. I love this app and it truly helped me i could defiantly see results and i would totally recommend it. Do you think there is more to getting a stronger core other than just doing the exercises?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment Grace! I appreciate your recommendations and tips. I will definitely have to try that app, it seems very effective. I think that different exercises are the best ways to see quick results, but there are many simple things that also help. I mentioned that good posture and not slouching is very helpful in gaining abs. Also, eating healthy food that won't make you bloated should help as well.

      Delete
  2. Great job on your post Grace! I could relate to this post a lot because I also am in dance. In dance, as you know, core strength is very important when it comes to turn. To be able to stay up in your turn you need a lot of core strength. One thing I do to help me build strength before I turn is V-ups. If you don't know what they are, they are like sit ups but your legs stay straight and go up when your upper body does. For me, this makes my abs work much harder compared to when I do sit ups. Do you think one of the exercises you did worked better than the other?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Mia! I have seen V-ups in the past and will try incorporating that into my routine. I think both of these exercises are effective, it may just depend on preference. I personally prefer the plank because I have had some back injuries in the past, and sit-ups can sometimes irritate it. It also depends on the variation of each move, as well as the amount of repetitions.

      Delete
  3. Great job on your post Grace! I could relate to this post a lot because I also am in dance. In dance, as you know, core strength is very important when it comes to turn. To be able to stay up in your turn you need a lot of core strength. One thing I do to help me build strength before I turn is V-ups. If you don't know what they are, they are like sit ups but your legs stay straight and go up when your upper body does. For me, this makes my abs work much harder compared to when I do sit ups. Do you think one of the exercises you did worked better than the other?

    ReplyDelete