Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Backpacking and Hiking: Layering

My first hike during winter was something to remember! For this hike my friend, Gaby, and I headed up to Little Mount Si. This was a 4.7 mile round-trip hike and was the perfect distance to enjoy the hike and still be able to do other things later in the day. The hike did take us longer than we expected though due to us talking and stopping to take in the views. In fact, my book states “to account for this natural slow down add an extra 10 minutes for every mile when calculating the time needed to complete the hike” (Stevenson 22). Even with the extra time this hike was very enjoyable especially since I layered my clothing due to the chilly temperature. In this blog post I will be explaining how I layered and how it let me have a more enjoyable hike.


Layering is very important to all hikers, going any distance. By layering, you can have interchangeable layers to have more flexibility with your outfit while hiking (Stevenson 146). I learned this first hand while I on this hike. At the start of the hike I was very cold but after hiking up a few switchbacks I was warm and needed to remove my coat. By layering I was able to adjust my outfit to my temperature and have a more comfortable hike


Gaby and I at the top of Little Si




By the time we reached the top of the trail, the wind had really started to pick up. Due to this, I put my coat back on which helped a lot. In fact, my book states “outerwear layers like jackets and rain shells block wind and rain” (Stevenson 147). The coat I was wearing not only protected me from the wind but was waterproof which would be helpful if it rained. Underneath my jacket I wore a long-sleeve thermal shirt to help keep me warm. This worked very well and I would highly recommend using one if you get cold easily. By wearing all of these layers I was able to complete our hike successfully and not be too hot or cold throughout the hike




View from the top




Overall, layering helped me significantly and I would highly recommend it to anyone going on a hike. Do you wear a waterproof coat while hiking, if so is it helpful to you?







Thanks for reading, make sure to read my next posts to see how my next hike goes!

Stevenson, Jason. The Complete Idiot's Guide to Backpacking and Hiking. Indianapolis, IN: Alpha Books, 2010. Print.



10 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting post! I do layer heavily whenever I plan on taking a trip outside, such as to go hiking, and I find that jackets with hard material, such as wind breakers, block the wind. Would you say that the weather made the hike less unenjoyable or were you able to enjoy it as much as you would've with if it had better weather?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my post Faith! I think the weather didn't make the hike less enjoyable since I layered but if I didn't I think bad weather would have made the hike less enjoyable. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful post, Jaden! I love all your pictures! I cannot recall the last time I have hiked; it has been awhile since I have enjoyed the wonders of the earth and its magnificent vista. I did not wear a coat during my last hike. It was summer and the temperature was sizzling hot. However, I see why you would layer up. Hiking in Washington during the winter can be quite a chill! I might even consider hiking in the winter. You don't get to see the same views in summer as you do in the wintertime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post Brandon! I agree with you that hiking in Washington in the winter can be cold. Once again thanks for reading!

      Delete
  3. Little Si is a fun hike! I'ts definitely a destination around this area. I think wearing layers while hiking is always important. To answer your question about waterproof clothing I always wear at least a waterproof jacket anytime It's cold or there's a chance to run into rain or snow. If you ran into horrible weather on this hike like a downpour of rain, would you have been prepared?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed my post Owen! I think if I ran into horrible weather I would be okay due to my many layers and mostly my waterproof coat. Thanks for reading!

      Delete
  4. Hi Jaden, I love this post and the pictures you included, looks like a fun hike! I definitely agree how wearing layers is very important. Since I play soccer daily I will show up to practice with a jacket, and then once practice gets started I start to get hot and end up removing my jacket to achieve a more comfortable temperature. It is nice to see that this tip doesn't just apply to hiking. I am not a very frequent hiker, but I definitely do enjoy hiking, and when I go I usually where a sweatshirt with a shirt underneath, but I should try and start bringing rain coats to help with the wind, and the rain if it starts to rain. Are you a frequent hiker?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for reading my post Ashley! I would say I am a frequent hiker during summer but not as much during the other seasons. I'm glad you enjoyed my post!

      Delete
  5. Very cool Jaden! I went backpacking over the summer with a couple of friends and the clothes I brought were not the smartest choice for our adventure, next time I go I will take layering into account. It rained buckets when we made the hike out and my clothes were not made for rain. Next time bringing a waterproof jacket is a must. Thanks for your insight!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fantastic Jaden! My family sometimes hikes and this is so cool to see other people's family do the same. The pictures were beautiful and I also loved the layout of your post. Great job!

    ReplyDelete