Sunday, December 10, 2017

Chic Hairstyles: Part 2


As I have practiced more hairstyles I have improved my skills, so I have decided to try a more complex hairstyle. The hairstyle I tried was called a fishtail braid. This braid looks elaborate and difficult but is surprisingly easy to master!

I started off the look by thoroughly brushings the model’s hair to remove any knots. Then I split the hair into two equal sections. The book encourages that you should hold one side of the braid in each hand and keep the sections separate as you braid (Butcher, 51). This helps to make the braid look more put together. Next, I crossed sections from their hair form each side repeatedly. The result was an amazing beautiful hairstyle with a unique texture!

Tips:

Step by step pictures
A tip in the book stated, “When you’re learning to fishtail braid, it’s easier to put your hair up in a ponytail” (Butcher, 51). This was the most helpful tip because I had just learned how to do this hairstyle. This tip provided me a helpful way to keep the hair in place, especially for layered hair. Another tip was to wet the hair a little before styling (Butcher, 51). I found this helpful because it I learned that it was a way to make the braid become more precise. Also, the damp hair was much easier to brush out and hold.



Me in the process of braiding


Overall, I recommend this hairstyle for people with long hair. I found it hard to complete on people with short hair because the layers of their hair made it hard to make even sections. On the long hair, I found this look to be quite easy to complete, but a little time consuming. However, I feel that the braid was worth the time! It is easy to personalize and can be worn tighter for a put together look or loose for a bohemian one!
Finished look!








How useful is this hairstyle, and how often would you use it?
Also please make sure to check out my next post for another chic hairstyle!





Source:

Butcher, Christina. Braids, Buns, and Twists!: Step-by-step Tutorials for 82 Fabulous Hairstyles. London: Apple, 2015. Print.

a

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marley! I love this post, and this braid! I really enjoy trying new things with my hair instead of just wearing it down or in a pony-tail. I was introduced to this braid awhile back but never really mastered it.I have layers in my hair and I always have the problem of pieces falling out of a braid, or my hands slipping, so it is helpful to know that water will help keep everything in place I will definitely start using this hairstyle more as a way to to enhance my hairstyles. I will for sure come back and look at your next hairstyle! Is this a hairstyle that you truly like to wear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! I'm really glad you found my post interesting. To answer your question, I would definitely wear this hairstyle on days when I'm not in a rush. It is a more time consuming hairstyle so on days where I have more time to get ready I would absolutely wear my hair styled this way!

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post Marley! I think this hairstyle is very useful and I can see myself wearing it often. I also think the tip you included will be very helpful when I try the hairstyle out. How long did it take for you to create this braid?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Jaden! i'm glad you find this hairstyle useful and wearable. this braid took around 15 minutes to create because the braid uses thinner strands. However this hairstyle is pretty simple to complete!

      Delete