Friday, December 29, 2017

Conditioning for soccer: Speed

Joey Macauley
Complete Conditioning for Soccer
By: Greg Gatz

Similar to the other components of soccer, including strength, flexibility, etc., speed can be taught and improved and isn't solely determined by inherited skill/potential. In chapter 7 of Complete Conditioning for Soccer, Greg Gatz defines speed and how to develop a program that incorporates drills and exercises that specify on the particular mechanics of your body. He explains how speed training for soccer should consist of combinations of acceleration, tempo changes, and multi-directional acceleration, which then correlates with the aspects of agility training. Also, Gatz warns that consecutive workouts dedicated to speed must be avoided to maintain forward progress by not over stressing the nervous system (Gatz 99). Then, Gatz specifies on how to design a program in order to effectively build upon your speed. He says, "To improve top-end speed, you need to understand and practice the basic mechanics of sprinting, including posture, stride frequency, and stride length..." (Gatz 100). Then, he adds, "When planning your speed development program, allow sufficient recovery between intensive bouts and adjust the volume to lessen the chance of over training" (Gatz 102). Following this information, Gatz lays out guidance plans and written tutorials for developing a speed program that incorporates various drills such as...
(1) Hill Sprints: Forces your steps to be quicker up and down. The resistance from the gradual incline works on your acceleration and stretches your muscles
(2-3) Get-up: Accentuates the driving force of acceleration and teaches you to use your arms to generate more power in motion. 
In essence, this chapter really taught me how to possibly increase my speed and agility which plays a major role in how players and teams are able to dominate. I now understand the correct methods or processes for how to improve my speed and I'm anxious to continue applying them to how I train. After reading the evidence I paraphrased, it now easier to strategically and effectively created a plan that will enhance the mechanics of my muscles, along with doing it safely in regards to muscle health. Furthermore, similar to how flexibility and balance training are separated into different styles of exercises, the quoted evidence that I included really made it more clear for me on what I could work on and what drills correspond with various focuses. All in all, I may not be the quickest player out there, but at least this chapter has given me valuable knowledge to keep moving forward. 

Do you consider yourself to have more speed then others? If so, how have you obtained it, and if not, what do you seek as the best plan in improving this component?

Work Cited: 
Gatz, Greg. Complete Conditioning for Soccer. Human Kinetics, 2009.

2 comments:

  1. I am good at gaining speed after time, but I can't seem to be fast on my toes, at least not to the extent as other people. I've started to try to improve this by doing sprints. My jump training also help all around because it just made me more explosive as a whole. That is what made me consider myself to have more speed than others. How would you rate your quickness, and any other routines or workouts you would recommend for me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Essaw,
    That's great you've been able to seek improvements in your speed and explosiveness through sprints and especially jump training. I'll consider integrating box jumps and other exercises in my routines too. Now specifying on your footwork and quickness on your toes I suggest you use an agility ladder. I mention it in my blog post regarding "agility" but basically, doing exercises with this ladder will not only quicken your footwork, but improves your all-around agility and explosiveness, which then applies to your speed. Currently, my speed is decent and has improved a lot over time, but I more so rely on my agility when playing soccer, rather than focusing on being faster than someone else.

    ReplyDelete