Tuesday, December 19, 2017

Lettering: illustration vs. representational

Lettering: Illustration and lettering vs. Representational

Hand-lettering can be easily distinguished from any other form of lettering art. For example, calligraphy is created with alternating strokes, while lettering is more visually engaging with different colors. However, there are different variations of lettering. The two that are confused most often is illustration and representational.

McDevitt says "...illustration incorporated with lettering is a fun way to add interest to the composition and not rely as heavily on the tone of the lettering (though it is still important)" (McDevitt, 52). She also defined representational as "...a style that takes on the look of an object to create lettering. For example: ribbon, flowers, rope, twigs, pretzels" (56).

Below, I've inserted examples of both from the book:


Illustration
(notice most pictures are not related to the phrase)





Representational
(pictures correspond with the phrases, like salad and zap)



























I decided to use representational lettering to draw the phrase "No use crying over spilled milk".


What do you think is your favorite quote? Why is it important to you?

Citation - McDevitt, Mary Kate. Hand-Lettering Ledger. Chronicle Books, 2014.

2 comments:

  1. Ubah! I love that drawing and representation of a well known piece of advice. I have no idea what my favorite quote is, but I think it would be something about staying positive and keeping your head up. Quotes like that are important to me because they are a reminder that being negative about anything is not going to change the situation. Staying positive can not only help yourself, but it can also be a huge help to others who may be going through a tough time. If I were to draw it out, I would probably do some combination of both lettering and calligraphy, but that's just my preference. Which do you prefer?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Bethany! I also think that quotes can be so powerful and it can change people's outlook on life. Lettering and calligraphy is a great combination to make a beautiful piece. I would have to say my favorite type of lettering style is bold San-serif and script because I think they compliment each other and it makes any work of art interesting.

    ReplyDelete