Sunday, December 17, 2017

Taste of Vietnam: Wok 'n Roll

Taste of Vietnam: Wok 'n Roll

Fried Rice - Brandon Nguyen



Rice has become essential to Vietnamese diet. Originated in China, rice has made its way downtown and has shaped our culture ever since. For this next dish, I am making fried rice, stepping it up to the next level and will be following the recipe and procedures directly from Ăn: To Eat, by executive chefs (as well as mother-daughter duo), Helene and Jacqueline An. 


Fried rice made in a wok. 
Fried rice has always been the "go-to" dish for my family. It was the ideal dish for when we were in a hurry and had little time to cook. Chefs Helene and Jacqueline An describe the dish as "easy and quick, this dish is a weeknight favorite. . ." (An Helene & Jacqueline An 62). 

For the best result, it was extremely important to follow the recipe and procedures accordingly. I added onion and cloves of garlic for a "fragrant kick" (An Helene & Jacqueline An 62) and salt, sugar, and Maggi seasoning sauce to bring out all the flavors. In addition, I put Chinese sausage (lập xưởng), fried egg, carrots, peas, corn, and shrimp. I also decided to modify the An's recipe and added some squid.

Typically, fried rice is made in a wok (left), a bowl-shaped frying pan. As a Vietnamese, I can proudly say that we use woks for everything; from frying egg rolls to whipping up chow mein noodles (mì xào). 

The rice turned out to be perfect, but in reality, I was nervous. Everything was fast-paced, and I had to work quickly in the kitchen. The rice was not too dry but moist, and the squid gave the dish an interesting texture, making it "fun to eat." 


The carrots were shaved and then diced. 
Probably the most challenging procedure for me was cutting the vegetables (right). Fried rice requires you to either mince or dice vegetables into small, easy-to-eat pieces. To be completely honest, I have never cut anything smaller than an apple. The good news was that I did not lose any fingers and that I gained a bit of experience; however, I will never lose the fear of being around sharp objects, such as knives. 

My tip? Get creative and let your imagination roam free; don't always rely on the recipe. What was the first dish you made? How did it go? If you haven't made anything yet, what do you plan on making? Do knives scare you as well?



Resources: 
An, Helene, and Jacqueline An. Ăn: to Eat: Recipes and Stories from a Vietnamese Family Kitchen. Running Press, 2016.

2 comments:

  1. What a Great Post Brandon!I really enjoyed the details of how the rice related to your own family. If someone where to eat the rice with a meat dish on the side, what would you advise? Or is it a loner sort of meal? Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much! Rice is an essential staple, and a part of my daily life. Vietnamese people do not typically eat meat on the side; it usually goes in with the rice. However, we almost always eat canh, which is basically soup, when we are eating rice. I hope I have answered your question.

    ReplyDelete