Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Simply Glamorous: Eye shadow fundamentals

Hello, my name is Ashley, and recently I have been really into make up. Previously I have always done my make-up one basic way and never tried anything to fancy. I have been interested in learning new techniques and new ways to do my make up and that's when I got interested to buy a make-up techniques book. Today, more precisely I am working on the fundamentals of eye-shadow. This reflects on eye shape, eye and hair color, shimmers, matte, etc. After reading Gary Cockerill Simply Glamorous make up book, I have been introduced to the right techniques for different eye shapes, and the right colors to be applying due to eye and hair color. Here are some pictures of the look I created:


These are the colors I used to create the this look
As you can see there is shimmery pinks on my eyelids and hints of gold/brown in the upper crease. I was inspired to use these colors from Gary Cockerill,"Hazel eyes: Purples, rich gold, yellowy browns, dusty pinks, taupes... Red hair: Pinks, golds, greens, olives, black" (Cockerill 119). After reading this, I became much more clear on which colors to use on me to enhance my features. I really focused on the pinks as you can see in the picture.  Here are the colors for different eye colors, skin tones, and hair colors:


Also I was introduced to the eye shape I have. My eye shape is, "upturned, almond".  Knowing your eye shape will help you know where to apply the eye-shadow to give you the best look possible. Personally for me, according to Gary Cockerhill, with my eye shape I can apply eye shadow under the eyes. "The lower lids can sometimes be as pronounced as the top lids, which means you can put eye shadow under the eyes as well, for extra drama" (95). I decided to use this and it truly did complete the look. As you can see in the pictures below my eyes, I included a darker brown/gold color under the lash line.
Here are all the eye shapes that Cockerhill introduces:
This is the eye shapes Cockerill introduced

After reading these few pages from this book I already feel much more confident, and I hope this can a step to you being more confident in your skin! Knowing the right colors and where I should be applying these colors has made me much more confident to leave the house with eye shadow on. I hope you can include some of these tips the next time you are applying eye shadow. I also hope you can use the colors I used to create a look, especially if you have hazel eyes, like me. Also, looking at those pictures I included will help you significantly!

What colors do you think looks best on you? Are you an eye shadow kind of person? What is your eye shape?

Cockerill, Gary, et al. Simply Glamorous: Make-up Transformations to Make You Look & Feel Fabolous. Jacqui Small, 2015.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Ashley! I loved reading your post because i too and learning about makeup. I have also been very interested in learning new techniques! Your post has taught me some things that my book didn't cover, like what eye shadow color to use that will compliment not only my eye color but also my hair and skin color as well. Since i have deep set green eyes, light browns and golds really bring out my eyes and look best on me sort of similar to you! I love to experiment with eye shadow looks but i never wore them to often because i never truly knew what i was doing. After reading my book and your post i can definitely say that i will be an eye shadow person now, and i feel much more confident wearing it outside my house. Can't wait to see your next post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, are you interested in trying more complex eye shadow looks?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi grace, I am glad you enjoyed my post! Eye shadow is something so fun and just adds to any make up look! I am so glad that you to are also interested in learning more about make up like me, make up is an art! In regards to your question, yes I definitely want to try more complex eye shadow looks. I would love to add more color on my eyes and emphasize more on the colors I am already putting on, and I completely agree with you, these eye shadow techniques definitely gives one more confidence in there looks! Thank you!

      Delete
  3. Ashley, I am also into makeup and I can relate to doing basic looks and not going to fancy. Reading this helped to inform me on which colors are best for my eyes. I kind of have an upturn/ almond eye shape and before I read this I really didn't know what my eye shape was. Being a beginner to makeup I really don't know what colors I should use but after reading this I now know that I should use like coppers, grays, purples, red tones, bronzes, and golds. After reading this and also posting my eyeshadow look I am definitely an eyeshadow person. Your look that you created turned out great! Good job!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gila, I am so glad you found my post useful! Like I already mentioned I am definitely in the same boat as you, in the sense of not really knowing my eye-shape before reading this book, I am so glad that more than just me found this very useful! I will definetly need to check out your post!
      Thank you!

      Delete