Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Getting started: Drawing materials and Basic Techniques (Advanced concept drawing)

Getting started: Drawing materials and Basic Techniques (Advanced concept drawing)

Back in the day, I used to spend all my free time drawing, in the dark ages before I had access to electronics and never-ending entertainment (which is just up until the end of 7th grade). Let’s take a journey back to those days and draw concepts from the mind to paper. Using a book from my favorite artist, Scott Robertson, I started drawing.
(Robertson, 12)

But wait! step one is to get the materials, basic materials for concept art as stated by the book calls for fancy pens, sweeps, dividers, and all kinds of other weird things that my broke self would never be able to afford. But I managed to dig a few musty looking artifacts out of my closet. A few drawing utensils, a metal straight edge, an eraser, and two templates for basic shapes.
None the less, read on! Because I'm gonna start drawing now. "Before you start drawing, clear some space and time to fully commit to the drawing. Have a clear work surface with tools at the ready" (Robertson 14) looking at my room, which looks like a tsunami had gone through with it, I decide it’s better just to pretend this step isn’t in the book. “Let’s look at the body mechanics that are necessary to achieve a consistently straight line, you only need to learn how to draw one straight line. After that rotate the paper to change the line direction. Without this technique, keeping the paper in a fixed position would lead to having to learn to draw an infinite number of straight lines”
(Robertson 14).



         Well that's a little strange, considering the fact that every other artist i had read up about have advised against the "rotato potato" technique (rotating the paper to draw lines in every direction) I start practicing lines, and only one direction because that's all I'd need. The book shows some techniques that I used here, drawing with the whole arm, drawing slowly, and ghosting the line.

Question: What is your opinion on rotating the paper instead of mastering all kinds of different angles of lines? 


3 comments:

  1. Though I also advise against using the rotating technique as it mostly takes up much time spinning around a sheet to get a good design. It isn't that detrimental to skills in drawing, but in my eyes it would be best to try and out this habit. Also as a side note try and get out of using tools to make a perfect shape, just helps save time when you're able to make shapes without help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Those are rules that apply to more general drawing but are very inconvenient when doing a more professional level of concept drawing

      Delete
  2. Hey Kien, great post! Your conversational writing really makes it easy to understand what you want us to know. Thank you for sharing your expertise in drawing, I really need it. I think that mastering different angles of lines is better than spinning the paper.

    ReplyDelete