Friday, November 24, 2017

Knitting: Not Just Two Needles and a Ball of Yarn

Knitting: Not Just Two Needles and a Ball of Yarn

Ha Tien Nguyen
Knitting for DummiesPam Allen, Shannon Okey, Tracy L. Barr, and Marly Bird

Knitting has always been regarded as a grandma's hobby. However, many would disagree. Simply ask Cara Delevingne, Lorde, Kate Middleton, and Amanda Seyfried. Knitting is more than just two needles and a ball of yarn. The past-time is calm, relaxing, and centering. In this fast-moving world in which we live, we often forget to take the time to do something that requires us to slow down and refresh ourselves. The repetitive rhythmic movements has shown to help  manage stress, pain and depression. Not to mention, there's a certain thrill and sense of accomplishment that comes with holding up something you've just made with your own two hands. In Knitting for Dummies, the book educates and nurtures knitters in their process of crafting a product worthy of pride and satisfaction.

In chapter 4 of Kitting for Dummies, the book enlightens the reader with a step-by-step instruction of knitting techniques. The very first step of any knitting project is, "creating the first row of stitches... call casting on" (Allen, Shannon Okey, Barr, Bird 58). The casting on process is very important since these create the very first stitches for which every other stitches will be knitted upon. From there, "knitted and purled stitches are made by using a continuous strand of yarn and two needles to pull new loops through old loops" (Allen, Shannon Okey, Barr, Bird 64). Knit and purl stitches are two stitches upon which all other knitting techniques are based since they are undeniably the most simple and important stitches of any other stitches. Through the whole of the text, the authors provide encouraging advice such as, "Learning to knit can be a little stressful. Your fingers have to work in ways they're not accustomed to... When you feel yourself getting tense or frustrated, set your knitting aside and do something else for a while, or head to Chapter 21 for suggested exercises to unkink yourself" (Allen, Shannon Okey, Barr, Bird 57). In Knitting for Dummies, the authors cover every single detail of knitting and provide a very comprehensive manual for learning to knit.





There I was, a ball of yarn in one hand, two knitting needles in the other, and perhaps the most enormous headache of my life. Beginning off, I was quite confused. The hardest part of learning how to knit was learning it off a book. Being a visual learner myself, I had trouble interpreting the given directions into actions. However, by following many of the authors' advice and carefully examining the visual aid, I managed to master the techniques. Through it all, I found the encouragement in book to be very helpful to a struggling novice like me. I personally had a great time learning this new skill and found that my hard work paid off.


What was your predisposed opinion of knitting and what is your opinion of knitting now? Would you like to learn to knit? Why? What would you make if you knew how to knit?






Works Cited

Allen, Pam. Knitting for Dummies. John Wiley, 2014.

8 comments:

  1. To be completely honest, my preconceptions of knitting were a bit stereotyped. As you acknowledged in your introduction, there's a stigma around knitting that makes it seem like an activity an older person would do. However, your enlightening post has made me think otherwise! If I could knit something, I'd definitely attempt to make a Christmas sweater, though I worry about the amount of time and skill it would take. I really enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I appreciate your thoughts. It's true that there is a certain stereotype towards knitters. However, I'm glad my post had an enlightening affect on you. I like your choice of making a Christmas sweater. I, myself, would do the same if I had the expertise and time.

      Delete
  2. Ha Tien,
    I am glad you found a new hobby. As stated in your book, I have heard that knitting can be a stress-reliever as well. As a matter of fact, I have knitted a scarf before in the second grade. After lunch and recess, we had story-time, where the teacher read to the class. That was when we would knit our scarves. Everyone brought a ball of yarn to school. Our teacher told us that it was a way to clear our mind. My opinion about knitting has definitely changed after the second grade. I did not see it as a "granny activity" anymore but rather an activity requiring skill and dexterity. From years without knitting anything, my opinion about it has also changed, again, from your post. Since it is a great way to cope with stress, I am considering learning how to knit blankets. The problem would be finding the time to do it (especially with the mountains of homework). Excellent post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I enjoyed reading your story of knitting in the second grade. I'm bewildered that such a skill was taught in second grade. I wonder, how did your scarf turn out? I agree that knitting is an activity requiring skill and dexterity. I'm glad that my post has had an impact on your opinion of knitting. I really encourage you to pick up knitting again. I think knitting blankets is a wonderful idea. I wish you best of luck. I totally understand the struggle of finding time to knit since it is a hobby that requires patience and time, things that a high-school student doesn't have.

      Delete
  3. Ha Tien, you have beautifully written an informative and relatable post! What a coincidence that we chose the same topic of knitting and that our introductions are somewhat similar. I would like to compliment your perseverance on learning to knit through directions from a book. I also mentioned in my post that it was very difficult to learn the complex art of knitting through diagrams and simply-stated words. With my project, my goal is to be able to knit a scarf. Because the techniques I am learning are somewhat difficult for me to comprehend, it will take me a while to catch on to the concepts. I hope I will find reassurance in my authors' words like you had.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much. I find so much relief that I'm not alone in my struggles. I guess we could both relish in our struggles together. It's great that we choose the same skill to learn. Are you learning knitting for the first time too? Hilariously, I am making a scarf too. This is an incredible coincidence. If you need any support or help, I'm more than willing to give some. I hope you the best of luck with your project.

      Delete
  4. Ha Tien, I have not knitted in awhile, but I know the basic stitches from when I learned how to knit in sixth grade. I can definitely understand your frustration with this hobby because it is a very challenging task to take on! The hardest part for me was learning how to purl, which I've forgotten how to do now, but I have faith that you can do it. I agree with you and many of the other comments that knitting is kind of limited to or thought of as only a hobby that grandmas participate in. But that is so not true! Your introduction was very compelling and had some great examples to suggest the opposite of that stereotype. In my opinion, it is very rewarding to knit something and I think that knitted things look very cool! I've made a scarf before and now that I'm thinking about it, I think I might have another half finished scarf project in my closet. I think you've inspired me to finish that one! Thank you for the great post! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! However, I should be thanking you for reading and commenting on my post. I'm glad I've inspired you to finish your scarf project. It's true that it was challenging but I had a lot of fun and hope that you will do too as you're finishing your scarf.

      Delete