Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Vegetarian Cooking: Part 1

             Cooking can be fun and the outcome is always very intriguing, but its not always as easy as it looks. My names Thasan Dhaliwal and im a vegetarian. Being a vegetarian isn't very difficult when it comes to cravings for meat, however, this could just be me. The only trouble ive had is finding something to eat.


              The Author of my book claims that the best way to experience great food, is to get outside your comfort zone and try new things. Many manufacturers have products designated for vegans and vegetarians. These products being soy based food intended to be substitutes for meat. I went to my local grocery store, and went ahead and picked up something new.
        So after opening the package i found the pieces and they looked okay. It didn't smell like much. I cut open the plastic and put it on a pan. The pieces were very uneven and large. "I would recommend what are called 'Country style ribs,' which are really long, narrow strips cut from either the shoulder or loin." (Albala 103). After reading the section on meats in this book, it seemed that when cooking cut up pieces or ground foods, its better to cook in smaller pieces. So i began to cut up all the pieces. I then tried to saute the soy meat in order to cook it and get the most flavor possible.
          The outcome was okay, it was my first time ever sauteing fake meat and it tasted okay. Im hoping over time I am able to hone my skills and create even better dishes incorporating this fake meat.

          All information cited from The Lost Art of Real Cooking by Ken Albala and Rosanna Nazfiger.

1 comment:

  1. Great post! It was interesting learning that there are brands that make fake meat for vegetarians and vegans. I don't know if you have always been vegetarian and never eaten meat, but did the fake meat taste the same as real meat? Also, does eating at restaurants make it harder for you to choose a dish without meat?

    ReplyDelete