Sunday, November 26, 2017

Flute Techniques: Part 1 Basics

Music is one of my favorite forms of art. Whether you listen to music or play an instrument, the music produced will always (without a doubt) express an individuals' imagination and emotion.


Playing the flute has always been one of my favorite hobbies. As much as I have practiced, there are still some techniques that I tend to struggle with. However, the Rubank Advanced Method book by William Gower and Himie Voxman, helps me improve my techniques. This book outlines a multitude of different exercises, techniques and tunes (which all vary due to their unique style)  - ranging from something simplistic to something complex.

But before we get to that, here are the basics of playing the flute:

  • Posture should always be tall (not slacking), while your shoulders are back and relaxed.
  • Breathing/airstream should consist of whispering, "too". The embouchure plate should rest against your bottom lip. 
  • Below shows an image of the flute fingering chart (correctly showing where to position your hands), your fingers should be arched and lightly rested on the keys.                                                                                                      (Gower and Voxman 2)



It is important to phrase properly and to use the right articulations. "Careful attention to the marks of expression is essential to effective use of the material." (Gower and Voxman 19) For this will then enable the emotions/impressions that are being played in the passages.

Some techniques that will be present during the next couple of blogs are:

Double/Triple tonguing.
Turns (including inverted).
Playing technical tunes (that are rapid paced).


I tend to struggle with these the most since movement has to be quick and precise. Below is an example (link) of where I would practice this one rapid passage (all slurred) in "The Black Pearl". One way for me to fully and accurately play a really technical passage was to first - practice it slowly, therefore the movements will be memorized. Then speeding it up slightly the next couple of times until I reach the correct tempo. "In all exercises where no tempo is indicated the student should play the study as rapidly as is consistent with tonal control and technical accuracy. The first practice on each exercise should be done very slowly in order that the articulation may be carefully observed." (Gower and Voxman 47).



What do you guys suggest I could do to improve? If you play an wind instrument, do you have any tips about the techniques listed above? If you don't play a wind instrument, what instrument(s) do you play and why? (Or if you don't play any, what's your favorite genre and why?)

10 comments:

  1. Wow! This is a great display of musicianship and artistry at its finest! Your post is incredibly interesting, even to someone who doesn't play a wind instrument. I play the upright bass, and many other string instruments. This is mainly because I got relegated to the upright bass in elementary school, since there was no one else to play it. However, learning it opened my eyes to the whole realm of music and even more towards artistry and thought and imagination. Music is truly a shape of one's (or many people's) imagination, and when expressed well, the product is incredible. Once again, a fine post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly appreciate the compliment, Jeremiah! Thank you so much! Even though you were left with no choice but to choose the bass, it suits you. Your playing skills are phenomenal! Music is quite impactful to each and every individual, for it can benefit the person itself. Another great thing about it is that there are a variety of different styles! (Which shows the creativity of the producers) But what amazes me the most is that there is no end to music. That you can create absolutely anything, and that piece has never been made before - that overall, it is unique.

      Delete
  2. Hi Raina! What an impressive post! As someone who also plays flute in the Kentridge band, I know the struggle of learning quick, technical passages too. I think the way that you played that rapid passage was really great- I noticed that you were very in tune and made sure to hit all the notes. Sometimes, in those fast passages, especially in concert pieces, I notice that I get the majority of the passage, but in attempting to get up to speed, I'll miss a note by moving my fingers too quickly. Have you encountered that problem? Was there a way that helped you solve it? I think that you don't need to improve anything about that passage- the recording sounded great! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Claire! I really appreciate the compliment! And being a flautist is pretty tough, especially since we have to deal with (mostly the) melody which could potentially consist of quick movements between high/low notes (challenging to get in tune/transition). To answer your question, yes, I have encountered that problem. I believe that every musician (ranging from amateurs to professionals) have run into the same exact problem. There really is no correct way of solving it, besides practice! Personally, I would play it slow (accurately) first then speed it up. This helps with muscle memory, which we all can rely on. :)

      Delete
  3. What an insightful post, Raina! The amount of effort you put into being a committed musician really shows through your performance in playing the flute. I used to play the violin, but I'm too out of practice now to be able to play anything. I wish I hadn't given up on it though, because being able to play and create music is like communicating through another language! I am personally a big fan of instrumental music, especially renditions of popular songs or anime OSTs that are played with a softer tone. Have you ever tried to cover a popular song or anime opening? If so, how hard was it? Did you have to learn it through sheet music, or by ear?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kristy! Your compliment means a whole lot to me! And to answer your question, yes, I have attempted (a bunch of times) to cover a popular song/anime opening (popular on the radio, Attack on Titan, Flight of the Bumblebee, etc.). The difficulty of the music really just depends on the piece, if you have been playing for a long period of time (I have been playing for almost 5 years now) then it shouldn't be too hard (Ex. Flight is challenging since it consists of rapid movements while Attack on Titan has a much simpler melody). And honestly, it's fun learning it both ways! Through reading the sheet music and figuring it out by ear! It really challenges you to become a better musician overall, to test your skill and knowledge. I hope this answers your question! :)

      Delete
  4. Excellent post, Raina! As a person who played the clarinet for a period of time, I know its difficult to control the speed it should be played at (tempo). Its because you have to put in at a certain type of speed or else the sound would throw people off and sound weird. I guess what you could do to improve is practice as many times as you can, because practice makes perfect. Even though its cliche it speaks to something bigger because the more you practice the more you do get better. As your familiarize the techniques more, you are able to become better with the technique. To answer your question I would play the clarinet, just because I had played it before for a short time. Overall great post!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so very much, Anh! I really appreciate the compliment and the tips, they help me out a lot! What you said really helps motivate me to become a better musician, and I thank you for that. I hope you stay tuned for the next couple of blogs!

      Delete
  5. Great post Raina! I noticed that you said that the best way to work on a difficult or fast passage is to practice it slowly and then gradually work up the tempo, but I have found this to not be the case. My saxophone teacher told me that the best way to work on these passages is to play them five times perfectly at half tempo, and then take it right up to the desired tempo. This is because, from what I've found, often times when you try to gradually increase them tempo, you can find yourself stuck at one tempo, and playing it immediately at full speed after practicing it a half works better than expected.I have found this to be a highly effective practice strategy, and I think you could benefit from it. All in all, great work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much, Noah! You're a life saver! You really are an amazing musician! And I find that to be really beneficial, I'll start to keep that method in mind. I greatly appreciate it!

      Delete