Thursday, November 30, 2017

turtle care

the book I read was called Turtles and Tortoises for Dummies, and because I own 3 turtles I was going to try to improve my care for them. While I was reading I came across a section about how you should maintain a chelonians (fancy way of saying turtles, terrapins, and tortoises) habitat, and I found that for my Russian tortoise, it would be much more ideal to let him live outside, but they require a certain temperature to live. this is a bit of a problem as I have heat lamps inside for my tortoises terrarium, and I would need those for him to be healthy as Washington is pretty cold and damp, but I can keep him warm, inside where he has less space to move. I decided that to solve this problem I would have my tortoise live inside for most of the year, but would prepare an outdoor enclosure for the summer. until then I decided to improve my tortoises terrarium by adding places for him to bask and by providing plants for him to hide in and snack on.







this is a picture of my tortoise in his water bowl basking in the light.

No comments:

Post a Comment