Sunday, November 26, 2017

Working with Aperture: Photography Post #1

Owen Paznokas
The Beginner's Photography Guide
By Chris Gactum

Hey! I'm Owen, I aspire to be a better photographer everyday! In the past I have worked with basic digital cameras and 35 mm film cameras, but I want to be able to head out of the darkroom on certain occasions and start shooting on DSLR's. Photography is certainly a passion of mine and despite previous knowledge being able to work a DSLR and produce a quality image is integral for me to succeed in the world of photography.

On this post I will be fiddling with Aperture priority mode on my camera. Aperture is the size of opening your lens creates when you're taking a photograph. This influences the amount of light reaching the sensor of you camera and creating an image. "When you choose the aperture, you're deciding what depth of field you want in your shot, which is one of the most important creative decisions you can make when taking a photograph" (Chris Gactum 54). Basically, you are deciding what you want to hone in on.

I recently went into Seattle to take Pictures and the sights of the great wheel and the shops in Pike's place didn't catch my eye as much as other things, signs with Graffiti and fishermen down on the pier struck far more chords than the same things everyone else takes pictures of. I was able to create many photographs with different subjects in mind but I think the two below show a very good representation of how depth of field controls a picture (Gactum 55).

The first picture above is shot at an aperture of f12 which has a relatively small opening. It isn't small enough to get everything in focus but the background is clear. This picture also had a slightly longer shutter speed than it needed which overexposed it slightly.

The second image was shot from an aperture of f5.6 which is a smaller opening and is able to capture the sign in detail while removing the sharpness of the background.

My question for you guys is what image looks better? How does changing the focus of an image alter your perception if the photos meaning?

Recources
Gactum, Chris. Beginner's Photography Guide. Dorling Kindersley Ltd, 2016.

4 comments:

  1. Wow! Great photos Owen. I think that both pictures are great depending on what you want the main focus to be. If the point was to get the sign as the main interest the second one is clearly better, but the first picture gives an overall better idea of your surroundings. You seem like you know what you're doing, keep up the great work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bronson! I really appreciate your input on my photos. I think you were right about how the second picture hones in on the subject more.

      Delete
  2. Great post Owen! I really liked how you explained the diffrent typed of aperture and how that effects what the camera is focused on. I personally like the second image because its more to look at and its more interesting. What differences have you found, other than developing photo's, between basic digital and film cameras?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response! Answering your question, I think digital photography is far superior from film, it is faster and can produce more quality images in much larger scale. I think film photography really teaches you precision and it's a wonderful way to start because you get so much knowledge from the darkroom and the shooting process that you will never get from a digital camera.

      Delete