Monday, November 27, 2017

Drawing - Emphasis/ Focal Point

Ever since I was a kid, I remember loving to create art, even if it was just scribbles with some crayons.  Drawing has never come easy for me, and I’ve never been the best at it, but it was always a fun way for me to pass time when I was bored. Everywhere I would go I would run into different forms of art, and I would always wonder how people created such beautiful pieces. I hope that this small hobby may soon turn into a larger passion as I improve my skills and expand my creativity. 

As I’ve been reading the book Design Basics by David A. Lauer, I’ve learned so much more about art already. Lauer teachers you how to improve your art skills using different techniques.When putting time and creating a piece of artwork, you don't want the audience to just walk past it without even a glance.  There are countless ways to draw the audience into a piece, similarly to how a hook draws a reader into an essay.  The first technique I chose to try out was emphasis / focal point. The point of this technique is that it “attracts attention and encourages the viewer to look further” (Lauer 40). I drew a picture using emphasis by isolation. This means that I isolated an item and set it apart from the others, drawing the eye toward it. (Lauer 44). In this drawing, the solid black square is larger and father away from the other squares causing it to be slightly different and become the focal point. I didn't make it in the very center of the paper, so that it didn't appear to obvious. I also didn't make it a different shape so that it didn't appear out of place. 

This picture appears very simple, but it actually took quite some time to make. First, I started by using a ruler and a pencil to sketch the squares. Then I drew on the patterns I wanted, and lastly, I outlined and colored them all in with a sharpie to make it stand out more. When using this technique, you must be careful because too many focal points can cause confusion. (Lauer 40). I’m happy with how this came out, however I’m excited to see how I will improve as I keep practicing.

Do you agree that the square is the focal point, or do you think it’s something else?
Do you enjoy drawing, and if you do, what are your favorite techniques to use?
What do you consider as “art”?


Lauer, David A. Design Basics. third ed., Thomson Learning, 1990.

6 comments:

  1. I love your minimalistic drawing style! I agree the bolded square stand out as a focal point, it really draws the audiences eyes towards the rest

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for commenting Olivia! Your feedback is very helpful.

      Delete
  2. I love the way that you chose something as simple as squares and a little design and elevated it to look classy and professional. To me, art is anything that a person does to express their personality and who they are, and I think this expresses yourself as simple yet elegant. It's a way to communicate with the world without using a single word, which is incredible! I do think the square is the focal point, it definitely stands out and catches the eye. Do you think the same effect could be achieved using different shapes, such as a circle, or is there something about using the square that a different object couldn't capture?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Bethany! I completely agree with your definition of art. To answer your question, I do think that the same effect could be achieved using circles, or any other shape, as long as the item is isolated from all the rest it will most often become the focal point. It also doesn't have to be a shape, you could use any object you would like.

      Delete
  3. Bryanna,
    I am glad that you found a new hobby. I indeed see the larger square as the focal point. You can easily tell which square is in the front and which is on the back, and farther away. I have to say that my favorite art technique is shading. Shading gives your drawing depth and definition; in other words, your drawing is not just a two-dimensional figure. I believe that art comes in various forms. When different people see different things, that is art. With that being said, I consider anything as art, from technology, movies, books, and architecture. They are all branched from art.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Brandon, that's a very insightful perspective, I never thought of it that way! You're right, shading is a very important technique in art that has the ability to turn a plain drawing into something almost life-like.

      Delete