Thursday, November 30, 2017

Strength Training: Hammer Curls



Weight lifting and strength training can provide many benefits such as improve physical health, increase strength, enhance athletic performance, and can even help individuals mentally by improving self confidence. However, if bad techniques are practiced injuries can be endured. Within these blogs I will provide pointers to ensure correct techniques and will also share my experiences  performing these exercises.

The book I chose to use to complete this project is Strength Training Anatomy Third Edition by: Frèdèric Delavier. This book gives exercises that you can perform while at the gym or in your own home. Along with the exercises the book also provides diagrams of what muscles the specific exercise is strengthening and includes instruction on how to perform the exercise properly. While reading this book I noticed that I was practicing poor technique and form while weightlifting particularly while I was doing hammer curls. Throughout this blog post I will inform you how to correctly do hammer curls and how to practice proper form to avoid injury.

To begin start with one dumbbell in each hand and with your feet shoulder width apart. For beginners I recommend to use 15 pound dumbbells or less so you can master proper procedure before moving on to heavier weights. Inhale and lift the dumbbell so it is parallel with your shoulder. After that, slowly release the dumbbell to your side and remember to exhale. Breathing during exercise is key because your muscles need oxygen.






According to the author "This is the best exercise for developing the brachioradialis. It also develops the biceps brachii, brachialis, and, to a lesser degree, the extensor carpi radialis brevis and longus" (Delavier 9). So, this workout is very beneficial because it strengthens multiple muscles in     your arms.



Proper angle to begin hammer curl. 
While I was performing this exercise I learned several things about improper technique and how to prepare yourself for this work out. The first thing I learned is to always keep your elbow at a 90 degree angle as you raise the dumbbell up towards your shoulder (Delavier 8). If you do not keep a 90 degree angle this can lead to elbow injuries because without the proper angle you are putting too much stress on your elbow.

Another thing I learned during this exercise is it is essential to keep a good posture and to tighten your abdominal muscles while doing this exercise. This is extremely important because if you don't you may injure your back from leaning back and using motion to lift the dumbbells.

Finally, I learned that wearing shoes is also very important even if you are exercise in your home. If you are worried about damaging your carpets I recommend that you buy a exercise mat so you can preserve your clean carpets and keep your parents happy.

Overall, I enjoyed performing this exercise because it is beneficial for improving strength and helps build arm muscle. Since dumbbell curls and hammer curls work the same muscles, which exercise of the two do you prefer to perform?

Works Cited
Delavier, Frédéric. Strength Training Anatomy . Third ed., Human Kinetics, 2010.




2 comments:

  1. Great post Covaughn! By the looks of your muscles i can see this workout has been going well for you. I too want to get stronger and this post has really taught me ways i can do that. A question I have is, how long would it take me to go to heavier weights if I were at 25 pounds right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for taking the time to read my blog and comment I appreciate this a lot! I am glad that you could learn something from my writing. To reach heavier weights I would take your time because you don't want to strain your muscles by lifting weights that are heavier than you can handle. However, I would advise that you continue using the 25 pound weights for two weeks remembering to rest in between your workout days and then after those two weeks you can increase your weights to 30 pound dumbbells.

      Delete