Tuesday, November 28, 2017

How to Make Your Electric Guitar Play Great!: Alternate Guitar Tuning: DADGAD

I have recently started playing guitar, starting back up with the acoustic I got when I was younger and never got around to playing then quickly I set my eyes on an electric Les Paul. I have never done anything out of the ordinary with guitar, nothing like Tom Morello playing his guitar with the audio cable even to Mark Knopflers advanced finger picking. I have decided to start my guitar journey off simple with changing my tuning. The standard form of tuning a guitar starting with the bottom string and working your way upwards is EBGDAE."This method of tuning was described in the Guild of American Luthiers data sheets..." (Erlewine 116). This is the standard form of tuning because it has the most versatility when it comes to playing triads and having an open range of sound.

This an example of what standard tuning sounds like on an acoustic guitar. Its very melodic and has more of an upbeat sound. 

"Open tunings such as DADGAD... sound much more pleasant on guitar..." (Erlewine 119). The tuning is called DADGAD because instead of the top and bottom strings being tuned to E like the standard form, it is tuned down to D. A similar ting occurs for the B string, being tuned to A. The author refers to an open tuning, open tuning is when a chord, such as D can be played on a single string, instead of using multiple. Legendary rockers such as Jimmy Page of Led Zeppelin and Keith Richards of the Rolling Stones use open tuning, making chords easier to play and complex progressions simpler. 
That is the DADGAD tuning demonstrated on a electric Les Paul guitar.  The DADGAD tuning is used in typically folk and Gaelic music. 

                                         


That is the song Kashmir by Led Zeppelin, played by guitarist Jimmy Page, the open tuning gives the riff a somber, more mellow feel. What songs would you guys be interested in hearing me play as I progress through the process of playing and modifying my guitar? I am open to hearing suggestions and willing to hear feedback.

3 comments:

  1. Great work Joey! I think your skills are improving on the guitar. I think some songs like Californiacation by the red hot chili peppers or you really got me by the kinks would be awesome picks for you to learn. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Owen! I have been working really hard to get better. I will definitely work on those songs, as well as the ones we are working on together.

      Delete
  2. Great playing Joey, you' re writing definitely fit the overall tone of the post, and complimented the playing well. I would say that sticking to songs with a more mellow tone would be at first. I look forward to seeing what other songs you end up playing.

    ReplyDelete