Thursday, November 30, 2017

         The Art of Sign Language

       For my IRP Quarter 2 I decided to learn basic sign language so that I can communicate with the deaf or heard of hearing. So far, I have the English ASL alphabet memorized, and I perform it in the video. The text helped, less through actual instruction and more through the many pictures of the sign of each letter. Early in the text many of these images for the alphabet are shown (Brown, 9-15). As you can see, I can now perform the alphabet. The text also helped through providing text instruction the few letters that require both a hand shape and movement, such as Z, "Make sure you make the Z in the air so that the person talking to you might read it," (Brown, 15).
How do you feel about languages being a graduation requirement at KR? Are they helpful life skills, or should the time be spent a different way?




Brown, Christopher. The Art of Sign Language: Phrases. Vol. 2, Thunder Bay Press, 2003.
By Noah Crissey

2 comments:

  1. This is a well made post, Noah! It amazes me that you want to be able to communicate with those whom have trouble hearing, because not just anyone would use their time to learn a vivid language - it shows how much effort you want to put into it. And not to mention, your performance was absolutely outstanding! To answer your question, I feel that the language requirement to graduate high school is necessary because it will help benefit us in the real world - if we were to ever travel to that region (where the language we learn is most common) we would need it to communicate. Was there a backstory for you wanting to learn sign language? Or did you just do it to help others?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the comment Raina! To answer your question, I decided on doing ASL for my IRP because my older brother took it as his language class at KR. He had to go to group meetings for the class when he took it at Highline, where he had conversations with people who were deaf of hard of hearing. After meeting some of them and interacting through things like notepads, I was inspired to learn the language!

    ReplyDelete