Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Chess: The End Game

Anh Ha
Chess For Juniors
By: Robert M. Snyder

Before I even started the book Chess For Juniors by Robert M. Snyder, I had no idea about the techniques or how to play greatly. Of course I knew how the pieces move from playing at lunch sometimes. However without knowing what my strategy would be, I would just move pieces randomly but sometimes I would get lucky and beat my opponent.


After reading the first 7 chapters of this book, I learned more things about chess, like castling. During my reading in chapter 8, one of the tips caught my eye, "From Diagram 101 you will see that: the King on a1 can move to only three squares, the King on e8 can move to five squares, and the King on e2 can move to eight squares. Limiting the number of squares that the enemy King can move to will make it much easier to checkmate it. Often the enemy King must be driven to the edge of the board before you can checkmate it." If the king was pushed to the corner it would be easier to checkmate it.


With this helpful tip I proceeded to try it out, when the king is into that position (the corner) I was able to achieve victory fairly quickly. When I saw the 3 pawns that haven't moved a single space, I knew it was the perfect opportunity to push the king into the corner and have him trapped there. So by using my remaining queen, bishop and horse I decided to take out as many of his pieces as I can, like his queen, rook, bishop and horse, not to mention his pawns also. Then by using my rook I was able to pin the king behind the 3 pawns so I could corner it, and by doing that I was able to achieved victory.


Question: So far what tips about your subjects have you learned? Do you think the tips will benefit you for later? 


Work Cited 
Snyder, Robert Michael. “Chess for Juniors: a Complete Guide for the Beginner.” Chess for Juniors: a Complete Guide for the Beginner, David McKay Co, 1991, pp. 132–133.


8 comments:

  1. Anh,
    As much as I read about chess, I will never improve. Chess has been fairly challenging for me. Between you and me, though I am embarrassed to admit, I can barely remember the moves of each piece! From my topic, I learned from my topic that the more you repeat the steps, the more you will improve. Hopefully, that will apply for you. This tip will definitely benefit me for later. Overall, in addition to writing an interesting post, you did an excellent job learning how you could improve your play in chess. Maybe we can play sometime!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Brandon! I'd would love to play against you sometime. I'm glad my post had help you in your subject. I will also consider your tips in every match i play from now on. Once again thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. This is a well made post, Anh! I really like the strategy that you used, for it helped lead you to success. You were able to predict where your opponent would go since you intimidated them to fall into your trap. Which worked thoroughly! There are a multitude of varying tips that I have learned, thanks to your post I was able to gain more! The tips that have been acknowledged would definitely benefit me later, since they are all so significant. One question that I had was what other techniques were you able to develop while playing chess?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Raina for your comment! While I was trying out this technique I did learn how to castle. With castling I was able to get away from the bishop that was putting me into check. Also with castling I was able to begin the process of putting my opponent into check and then being able to checkmate him. So by trying out the tip the book gave me I was able to learn a new technique that helped me win.

      Delete
  3. Hello, Anh. Like you I'm also trying to learn more about chess and your post helped a lot. A tip I've learned is you should take control of the center early and I think this tip will definitely benefit later because you'll have more options in which piece to capture. Also, your tip on driving the enemy king to the corner is extremely useful. In fact, most of my wins have occurred by cornering the king. In my book, it mentions that the king should move the the middle (avoiding a corner). Do you think this is a good idea, even though the king will be exposed to more threats?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your comment jay! I'm glad my post was able to help you! Personally I'm a person who usually puts my king away from danger, because if you do this your opponent will most likely to be trying to figure out how they will be able to get your king. So while they're focusing on attacking without defending, they will open up possibilities for you to take their king. So do I think putting the king in the middle is a good idea? My answer would be no

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Anh. I really like your post because i have always been bad at chess and i want to get good at it. I have played chess numerous times but i never had any strategy or even that much knowledge about chest. But with your tips i can greatly improve my chess skills. What kind of other techniques and strategies did you use before this?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment Kasyn! Before i even read this book the technique that i used was to just play randomly. Sometimes it would work out for me, but most of the time it ended with me losing.

      Delete