Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Conditioning for soccer: Flexibility

Joey Macauley
Complete Conditioning for Soccer
By: Greg Gatz

Playing soccer is more than just a competitive exercise, but it's dynamic and multifaceted. In the introduction to Complete Conditioning for Soccer, Greg Gatz explains that a strong and developing foundation for your flexibility, balance, agility, power, and speed are important for preforming at a high level. In chapter 3, he begins specifying on flexibility as he claims that its defined by your ability to move your body through a range of motions. Playing soccer involves a combination of coordinated muscle movements and actively increasing mobility through static stretching and dynamic routines with rhythm and tempo promotes an improving and quality performance (Gatz 25). Then, Gatz states, "I like to use three basic stretching techniques to develop flexibility in athletes: dynamic stretching, static stretching, and active stretching. Dynamic stretching... is a combination of movement drills and stretching that stimulate and prepare the body for an increased work load... Static stretching, or 'stretch and hold,' has a soothing effect on the body and is beneficial after training or competition... Active Stretching... is used as a recovery technique from heavy bouts of exercise (Gatz 26). Then, towards the end of the chapter, he includes recommended daily routines, drills, and stretches in order to effectively improve one's flexibility and preserve muscle health. For example...


[Stretch # corresponds with picture example # in which each stretch applies to the muscle strain from specific muscle coordination/movements]
(1) Side Groin Stretch for adductors (inner thigh) and hamstrings.
(2) Deep Forward Lunge Stretch for hamstring, glutes, and lower back.
(3)  Quadriceps Stretch for quads and hip flexors.
(1) Constant and agile changes in direction (Lunges, abrupt stops, cuts, etc.)
(2) An example of many different motions that require significant muscle coordination/stress (on glutes, lower-back, hamstring, etc.) at a single time.
(3) Per every shot (or something more than a 20 yard pass) your quads and hip flexors is put under stress that may put your muscle health at risk without periodic stretching for recovery and warm up.


Initially learning about the importance of flexibility I reflected on how poor my flexibility currently is, and has always been, and then how I rarely prioritize stretching at any point in time. This may explain why I'm too pathetic to even touch my toes "without bending my knees." Anyways, after reading this, I began integrating more static and dynamic stretching routines for isolated time periods before and after soccer training and games, along with after daily runs. I've noticed significant decreases in the strain and soreness of my muscles, especially in my legs. Also, my movements feel more liberal or fluid and has allowed me to endure physical actively longer. Then, after reading the quoted evidence that I found, it was interesting to learn that static stretching is for "after training or competition." This was a slap to the face because I'm sure most of you are aware that most organized groups for teams and whatnot statically stretch before games or performances to "loosen their muscles." Well, that's apparently wrong and after learning that, I have corrected the way I warm up and prepare for soccer or runs.

What activities are you involved in and how important is flexibility in order to perform well? Also, how would you, or how have you created a convenient schedule to stretch on a daily basis for the recovery and development of your muscles?

Work Cited: 
Gatz, Greg. Complete Conditioning for Soccer. Human Kinetics, 2009.


8 comments:

  1. I can definitely see how your stretching really shines in your playing, your technique in your plant foot and dribbling style really show not only your diligent practice but your great stretching routine. I also play soccer and flexibility is an important part as you said. I constantly get cramps and injuries, so maybe I need to start a stretching routine as well using Gatz's three styles of stretching! To create a convenient stretching schedule, I'd probably try to do it every morning to make sure any type of movement of exercise throughout the day is done without injury. Speaking of your technique earlier, how long have you been playing soccer? And how has your previous stretching style differed from your new one here?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. David,
      Thank you taking the time to leave a comment. I can definitely relate to your periodic cramps/injuries due to the lack of stretching but in regards to my "new and improved" stretching routine I've noticed that when I allow myself the time to really focus on my stretching before training and games my muscles feel more relaxed and "free". I've figured that doing a pattern of dynamic, then static, then dynamic... stretching is the best for me rather than lazily "going through the motions" like before. Lastly, I've been playing soccer for about 11 or so years and thank you for the tip of when to stretch. I'll consider integrating a morning routine.

      Delete
  2. Hi Joey, I believe you did an amazing job at expressing the importance of stretching and the different ways to stretch effectively to yield good results. You did a great job of clearly stating different stretching routines as well. I am involved in weight lifting which requires stretching to insure that I do not injure myself, but I never stretch because I'm not sure wasn't sure what kind of stretches could help me out. I have felt my muscles getting really tight and was starting to hurt more (especially after leg day). This has given me a lot of good advice of how to proceed with my training to help make it so I will not injure myself. All I'm wondering is if you believe it is necessary to do both dynamic and static stretching? Also, if I were to do dynamic stretching, would stretching right before I lift still give my body enough time to warm up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Essaw,
      I'm glad my that what I learned also helped you too and I appreciate you commenting. Personally, I do believe it's quite necessary to both static and dynamic stretching because it allows your muscles to "safely" recover and/or release tension. Only static stretching would subtly put your "cold" muscles at risk of strain even though it's evident everyone else does it. Then, I think stretching before you lift will give enough time to warm your muscles up. However, this depends on the amount of time you actually stretch. I suggest you allow yourself an isolated 10 minute period for your best performance each session you're lifting.

      Delete
  3. Joey, by you stretching, are you attempting to improve your play or to avoid injury? If it is to avoid injury, I would suggest drinking lots of water so that you don't get cramps and fatigue as easily. Also, by being super hydrated, it would enable you to feel better and play better as well because you won't become dehydrated as quickly. However, if it is just to improve your game, what muscles do you think need to be stretched most, given your high skill set?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nathan,
      I'd say I'm stretching to improve my play AND to avoid injury, but I'll make sure to continue to keep my hydration as a priority as it's understandable that it's also an important factor for good muscles health, thank you. In regards to your last question, I don't believe there's a particular set of muscles to rightfully be focused on stretching out "more" because your whole body is used when playing soccer throughout different movements and positions. However, I do agree that I tend to mostly worry about stretching my leg muscles: calves, hamstrings, quads, and hips. Thank you for taking the time to comment.

      Delete
  4. Joey, your blog was very well written and I like how you showed that certain stretches do help you perform different tasks and skills within a game situation. To follow up on your question, I too play soccer and see that stretching plays a key role in games and practices. When i stretch before, I feel that my muscles are ready and relaxed and I don't feel as tight. When it comes to my stretching, I typically stretch everyday because i have practice everyday. Another way to help stretch is to use a roller and roll out and stretch my muscles that way. The question that I had was whether you think that a cool down is more or less important than a warm-up, and do you think that the stretches should be the same for both a warm-up and a cool down?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tionna,
      Thank you for taking the time to leave a comment. So, I usually don't play everyday but I assume it would be a good habit for me to also fit in a stretching routine on a daily basis. Then, thanks for reminding me about the use of a roller. I have one and I use to use it quite a bit, but you know, I'd rather not endure the pain of removing those tight knots in my legs. Maybe I should get back to it. Lastly, I personally think a warm up is more important because it prepares you muscles for intense activity versus the importance of transition into a recovering/relaxing muscle state. However, I'll begin to consider integrating a solid cool down routine from now on because I'm sure it's just as important. Thanks!

      Delete