Sunday, November 26, 2017

Decorating Sugar Cookies with Royal Icing (Post #1- French designs): Precise Piping and Creating Multiple Colors


Claire Andreski
Period 5

Last week, I made my first batch of sugar cookies for this project and decorated them with royal icing, as is the focus of my project. I decided to try out two of the designs featured in the section "Vive la France" of my book, 100 Best Decorated Cookies by Julie Ann Hession, and to bring them into my French class to try. The two designs that I attempted to recreate were a French flag cookie and an Eiffel Tower cookie which both looked very unique and challenging to me. I first made the basic sugar cookie recipe (and doubled it) so I would have enough cookies for my class. I used an Eiffel Tower cookie cutter that I had purchased at Sur La Table, as well as a rectangular cookie cutter for the flags. To dye the icing the proper colors of the flag, I used food coloring found in the Wilton Color Right system which you can find at Michael's or Joann's stores. I found these colors to be very pigmented and to work very well for the project. 

Eiffel Tower cookies finished baking

Now, to the actual decorating part. I learned from my book, that one of the best ways to ensure a great looking cookie decorated with royal icing, is to create icings with different consistencies and to use each in different, beneficial ways. Hession states, "When you're using royal icing for designs in this book, it will be one of three consistencies: piping icing, flooding icing, or two-step icing (my personal favorite)" (Hession 23). She went on to explain that piping icing is a very thick icing that you often use to outline a shape before filling in that shape with the same color of flooding icing, which is slightly more fluid, resulting in this type of icing spreading and filling most of the cookie without assistance. Then she explained how to create two-step icing and that it can be used both to outline and flood cookies (Hession 23-24). It was important for me to read carefully about these icings and how they are used because in creating both the flag and Eiffel Tower cookies, it was necessary to use the flooding technique after outlining in piping icing. So, I first created a big batch of royal icing, waiting until the icing held stiff peaks after mixing all ingredients in (meringue powder, powdered sugar, light corn syrup, and water). 

 The batch of royal icing I made

Then I separated the icing into different bowls and dyed the icing into the different colors using the food coloring from the Wilton Color Right box. I used the red, crimson, blue, yellow, and black food colorings, mixing different amounts until the colors were where I wanted them and seemed to look correct. After I had created red, navy, and gray icings, I took some icing out of the red, navy, and white (main) bowl and thinned them with water to create flooding icing according to Julie Ann Hession's instructions. She said that, "To reach flooding consistency, add liquid (either water or lemon juice) to piping icing 1 teaspoon (5 mL) at a time, stirring after each addition" (Hession 23). I followed these directions, using water, and found that 1-2 teaspoons thinned the icing to just the right consistency as described in her book, to the point where it could pass the "ribbon test" she described in the book. 

The piping and flooding icings separated into different bowls. 

After I had my icings ready, I fitted them into piping bags with different, round piping tips, corresponding to whether it was flooding or piping icing (I put smaller tips with piping icing for the outlining/details which needed to be more precise and bigger tips with the flooding icing). Then I outlined the shape of the Eiffel towers and the French flag into rectangles by color. Then I flooded with the corresponding color. For the Eiffel towers, I outlined the whole shape and flooded with white, then went back on top with gray piping icing for the details. 

 The French flags and the first Eiffel Tower cookie on the drying rack. 

Working on piping the Eiffel Tower design like the book. 

Close up of the piping on an Eiffel Tower cookie.

In piping these cookies, I found some things out that I had not known before. I learned that you have to work quickly with the icing because the royal icing began to harden quickly, which I discovered when the tip of my piping bag became blocked by hardened icing. I poked it with a toothpick and the problem was solved, so it was not too big of a deal, but is just something I had and will have to keep in mind. It could affect your decorating if you need to pipe something on while the icing is still wet and it dries when you might not expect it to. I also learned that I could thin out the flooding icing even more because although it spread out, I had to use a toothpick quite a bit because the consistency was a little thicker than I believe it was supposed to be. I was worried of thinning out the icing too much because in the book Julie Ann had warned, "If you have a heavy hand with the water or lemon juice, your icing may be too thin" (Hession 34). So for next time, I will thin the flooding icing out just a tiny bit more for easy of piping. In addition, I felt that my cookies were a bit overbaked, so I realized that the baking time listed was more important to follow than the actual color of the cookies. Lastly, I realized that it is very important to make some extra icing because I just had enough for 32 cookies and was starting to worry at the end about running out of icing. These are all things I will take into consideration for my next batch of cookies. :) 

Have any of you made royal icing before? Did you use the pipe and flood method or a different decorating method? What is your favorite way to decorate cookies?

Citation: Hession, Julie Ann. 100 Best Decorated Cookies: Featuring 750 Step-by-Step Photos. Robert Rose, 2013.

15 comments:

  1. A very interesting and well-written post! It was a new idea to me that there are three types of icing, but it also made sense that you outline then fill with different types of icing. I can't say that I've made royal icing before because I have only decorated in a very basic way. Would you say that you could use these same techniques for icing a cake or cupcake?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Faith! :) It was a new idea to me that there would be 3 types of icing, too! Whenever I've decorated cookies before, I've only used one consistency of icing, but the two step method made a huge difference in the appearance of the cookies. They were much smoother and had neater lines :) I would say that these techniques are focused on a thinner consistency of icing that is mainly used on cookies. However, you could most definitely pipe designs with cake/cupcake frosting by piping the outlines, then the centers in a similar method and I think that would make your baked goods look very nice. :) I also read in my book that you could use royal icing to create a design, like a flower, and once it had dried on a piece of parchment paper, that you could place that on a cupcake or a cake. So you could definitely use royal icing in that way to decorate a cake :) Thank you so much for your thoughtful comment!

      Delete
  2. Claire,
    I love the way your cookies have turned out! Not bad for your first try. Decorating and designing the Eiffel Tower cookies were probably the most difficult for you. Similarly, I learned (for my project, which is Vietnamese cooking) that you should have trial and error; try going through the same procedures until you get what you want. I have never made royal icing before, but after reading your post, I plan to do so! My favorite way to decorate cookies is usually adding candy such as Kisses or M&Ms. How do you think you can perhaps improve your decorating techniques?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Brandon! :) Yes, the Eiffel tower cookies were the much harder design for me to do! Piping precise, straight lines definitely takes some time and patience. I definitely need more practice to get this skill down! I agree that trial and error is one of the most important things I am also learning through this hobby project because for the cookies I made after these, I adjusted the recipe by baking it a shorter time, and the cookies were not dry like these ones were. It was a huge improvement! I am excited that you are planning to make royal icing because the cookies look very professional and beautiful with this shiny icing on top. :) The M&Ms and Hershey Kisses sound like cute (and delicious) ways to decorate cookies. :) I think that I could improve my decorating techniques by having more patience, which includes piping slower because on a few of the cookies I was rushing to finish and thought I could do the outline quickly, but accidentally went too far in or went off the edge of the cookie while outlining, making them look messy.

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  3. Claire, these cookies look great! I love to bake as well and found this very interesting! I have never used royal icing, but this post makes me want to try. I had never heard of two-step icing, but now I want to find out more. I might make sugar cookies for Christmas and use this technique. What are your main tips for working with the royal icing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Grace! :) I'm delighted to hear that you found my post interesting and that you might use this technique on Christmas cookies! :) I was also unaware of this method, but once you look deeper, there are all sorts of techniques and different designs for decorating cookies out there! My main tips for working with royal icing is to make sure you have plenty of icing so that you won't worry about running out and because doing different colors takes a lot more icing than you would expect, to take your time piping precise little details, and to make sure that your outline has set up a little bit just to ensure that the flooding icing won't escape. The most important thing is, though, to make sure your icings are the right consistencies, not too thin or thick for what you are going to use them for. Taking the time to ensure the right consistency makes the cookies look more professional and saves time and effort :)

      Delete
  4. Claire, I really enjoyed this post! I too enjoy baking and found this post very insightful. I was interested to learn that when using royal icing you must create icings with different consistencies. I have never used royal icing or any other decorations when I bake, but after reading this I think I might give it a try! How do you think using royal icing as a decoration improved your cookies?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Marley! :) I think that using royal icing as a decoration gave the cookies a professional and creative look because multiple colors could be used and you could clearly see the piped design by using royal icing. I think that the appearance of my cookies were improved by using royal icing and that using royal icing piqued people's interest in the cookies because it looked more professional and interesting than a normal sugar cookie. :)

      Delete
  5. Claire, this was a really good post and your Eiffel Tower cookies turned out amazing! I like to bake to but I usually never go in depth with decorating with icing and frosting because I really don't prefer them. I might try and maybe make some royal icing now. What do you think the best way and techniques are for making or handling decorations with royal icing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much Andeep! :) I can definitely see where you're coming from, not everyone likes frosting. I think that the appeal of royal icing is that it is more about the creative appearance. :) I'm excited to hear that you might make some! I think the best techniques for handling royal icing is to use different consistencies of icings to create detailed looks and in addition to that, to have different sized piping tips to aid you in creating those specific looks. In addition, it's very important to learn how fast royal icing dries so that you know when is the right time to pipe details if you want them to sink in/blend into the frosting or be on top in a sort of 3D way. :)

      Delete
  6. Claire, these cookies look amazing! I too enjoy baking, but personally I have never expanded to more than just Christmas decorated cookies from frosting I picked up at the store. Mine always come out a little messy, and after seeing yours I'm astonished! I find this post very useful because now I have something to go look at for the best ways to make my icing, and to learn from what you thought went wrong and from what you think would be a better turn out. I was very interested in the fact that you added water to an icing to lower the consistency. As it is the holidays I will definitely put into consideration using my own royal icing as I bake Christmas cookies:) Before being introduced to this book, did you always make your icings home-made?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Ashley! :) Yes, for the most part I always have used homemade icings. My family has always made homemade frosting for cupcakes, but we didn't used to eat so many frosted cookies. We used to just eat plain cookies such as chocolate chip cookies. The only time we would frost cookies would be at Christmas time with gingerbread cookies and my mom would make icing that was just powdered sugar, water, and a little lemon. I would definitely recommend making a true royal icing though if you'd like to ensure a more clean, consistent look in addition to my opinion that it tastes even better than store bought icing. :) And I'm excited to hear that you might make it for your Christmas cookies! :)

      Delete
  7. Your cookies look beautiful I wish I had the paitience to ice the effile tower cookies. Im doing baking too and I was wondering if you have tried different recipes of royal icing to see which one works better for you. I personally like icing that dries slowly for non-layered designs and quick drying for layered designs although I have to work faster which usually affects my design quality.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Julianna! Thank you for your comment! I have tried different recipes for royal icing overtime and I've found the best one to be from a Food Network magazine, both in flavor and consistency. However, for this project I tried out the icing from the book and it has worked out decently too. :) I do think that I prefer the flavor of the Food Network recipe a little better. I definitely agree with you on your icing preferences! It is great when you don't have to wait too long for your icing to dry while you are trying to create designs with multiple layers. :)

      Delete