Wednesday, November 29, 2017

Makeup Manual: Eye shadow Basics

I have always had a love for makeup, but i never knew there were so many "rules" you had to follow. I usually just sit at my vanity and play around with makeup trying new techniques, but ever since i started reading Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual by Bobbi Brown, i have learned that makeup is an art and there are different techniques for all skin types, eye shapes, brow shapes, and skin tones. Bobbi Brown has taught me that are multiple techniques in order to achieve a look that fits your eye shape, skin type and facial features the best. 

Today i am focusing on eye shadow basics. Before reading this book I used any random color on my eyes not knowing if it would compliment my eye color. However, Bobbi Brown has taught me that there are certain eye shadows that compliment different eye colors. "For everyday application, pick shades of shadow that bring out the eye color rather than shadows that make a statement" (Brown 94).



This picture above is a guide that Brown placed in her book to help readers discover what eye shadow colors go best with their own personal eye color.

I have green eyes so i created a look using browns with hints of gold (Camel, Taupe; in picture above). When contouring (crease color or transition shade) your eyes , there are different ways to approach this technique depending on what eye shape you have. I personally have deep-set eyes and according to Bobbi Brown, when contouring your eyes, "Deep-set eyes need to be brought out with light and medium shades of shadow. Colors that are too dark recede and will make the eyes look even more deep set" (Brown 96).  

Posted below is the look i created:




I took Brown's advice and used a medium to light brown in my crease to contour it to ensure that i did not make my eyes look even more deep set. I also placed light browns and golds on my lid to help compliment my green eyes.

There were many products used to create this look all the way from multiple eye shadow palettes to the best brushes possible to achieve this look.

For my eye shadow, I used the Urban Decay Naked 2 and the Urban Decay Naked Smokey:

 Urban Decay Naked 2

Urban Decay Naked Smokey

As you can see above, the colors circled are all colors that i used and that are meant to compliment my eye color and eye shape.

To create this look, i first used the light white matte color in the naked smokey palette and placed that all over my eye lid as a base color. Then i took the matte brown from the same palette and placed it in my crease to contour it. I then took the shimmery brown shade in the smokey palette and placed it on top of the matte brown in my crease along with the 2 colors on the far right and far left in the naked 2 palette to add shimmer. Finally, for my lid i took the middle color circled in the naked 2 palette and the far left color circled in the smokey palette to create a light brown/golden shimmer color for my lid.


The brushes that you use are also very important in order to achieve a flawless eye look. For this look i used an eye blender brush, eye smudge brush, and an eye shadow brush. Each of these 3 brushes all do different things. 
I used the eye shadow brush to apply the color to my lid because "This brush has natural, soft, rounded bristles with beveled edges that deposit a sweep of shadow across the lower lid without leaving any harsh lines" (Brown 12). I used the smudge brush to help blend and place the color on the "outer v" of my eye. Lastly i used the blending brush to blend my crease colors and transition shades together because it is "a soft, fluffy, natural-hair brush with long bristles designed to blend eye shadow and eliminate lines of demarcation on the lids after applying multiple shades" (Brown 11).

Posted below are the brushes i used:



The brush on the far left is a dual ended brush. On the top there is a smudge brush and on the bottom there is a blender brush. The brush in the middle is an eye shadow brush and the brush on the far right is a blender brush. 

Now that i finally know what colors work the best for my eye color and shape and what brushes to use in order to achieve it, i am much more confident in my eye shadow looks that i create. I hope that you can benefit from my tips that i learned through Bobbi Brown and i hope that those interested will try to create an eye shadow look that suits their eye color and eye shape the best.

Have you heard of these tips before? What eye color and eye shape do you have? Are you interested in creating this look?

Brown, Bobbi, et al. Bobbi Brown Makeup Manual: for Everyone from Beginner to Pro. Springboard Press, 2011.




2 comments:

  1. Hi Grace! I personally really enjoyed reading this because I am also learning more about make-up and I really enjoy doing so. I was just like you, by the means that I would just put what ever colors on my eyes and hope they would compliment them nicely. I recently just learned about what colors would best benefit by eyes, and seeing your post from yet a different make-up book I really feel much more confident in the colors I am using. My eye-color is hazel and I love using pinks and golds! I have heard of these tips previously in my make-up book I am currently reading! I know you stated that this book is teaching you so much more about make-up, but can you also see your self using this in the future to get inspiration for specifically more eye shadow looks? I can't wait to see your next post:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Ashley! Thank you for your feedback on my post! It is nice to know that we are both realizing that there is so much more to makeup than we originally thought. To answer your question, i can definitely see myself using this book in the future for more inspiration on not only eye shadow looks but for also learning other aspects of makeup. Such as learning how to match foundation to my skin tone perfectly and how to create the perfect brow. This book also offers tips about skin care since the key to perfect makeup starts with the base of the skin that you work with. Once again, thank you for your feedback!

      Delete